Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Simple $25NL question

I know this is a simple question, but who calls here and who folds here? I called because I had pot odds and I'd still have position on the donkey in the SB. The initial preflop raiser was running on the aggressive side of TAG and the MP caller and SB caller were running fairly loose. Comments please.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($20.71)
Button ($58.93)
SB ($24.75)
Hero ($42.44)
UTG ($23.04)
MP ($27.46)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG raises to $1. MP calls. CO folds. Button folds.
SB calls. Hero calls.

Final Pot: $4
Old 02-13-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Simple $25NL question

You're playing a top-pair hand in a 4-way pot out of position on the preflop raiser.. I usually just fold here and avoid marginal spots.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:02 PM

I would much rather play SCs here than AJo.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're playing a top-pair hand in a 4-way pot out of position on the preflop raiser.. I usually just fold here and avoid marginal spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand I'm playing OOP, etc, but I'm getting good pot odds with a decent hand. I would much rather be making this call with a suited connector or pocket pair, but is making this call with AJ -EV? I think it's worth seeing a flop with with the intentions of folding out on a small flop. Comments?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:01 PM

What about the times you flop top pair and have not control over the pot size (as you're oop) and have no idea where you stand? What kind of flop are you hoping for? The only one I'd feel comfortable with is A-J-X rainbow and that just doesn't happen enough to make this profitable.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:03 PM

I only call with AJo agaisnt a TAG rasier if I think it will be heads up on the flop. I think calling here might be marginally +EV, but I would probably just fold it.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:00 PM

I just don't think this is worth it. Occasionally, against very predictable and easy to read players, I will make a loose call, but honestly even there I usually regret it.

Last time I did this, the flop came J high, I donkbet pot on flop, got raised and reraised, folded, and the other two went on to get it all in with KJ and QJ on the turn. I had no control at all over the pot, who was in it, how big it was, nothing. A crap situation, and there I had the best hand on the best possible flop short of JJx.

Just fold it and wait for 85 sooted to make this call.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:02 PM

Thanks for all of the input. I was leaning towards folding this even as I played it out but ultimately called because of the pot odds. Many of you commented that I'd have no control over the hand, etc, but you fail to consider that I'm only investing further money into the pot if the flop comes down AJx, JJx, KQT, and maybe AAx. I agree, this is not a favorable spot to play out postflop, but I still think it is +EV given my pot odds and implied odds; I guess I fold out anyways just to avoid getting into trouble.