Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Tournament.com - The future of competitive gaming?

So I was just checking some stuff out at CAL and the CPL sites and GotFrag etc etc and I was just donking around in general. Big UT and CS player and am really looking forward to the release of UT2K7/3 so I can compete in it. Well I come along this website called Tournament.com. Supposedly you can compete in games for money. They just started up so are only offering HL2DM and CS:S but as far as I can tell it looks legit. The have a lot of "freeroll" games that are offering bonus dollars but once you win some of those you can use them to enter the real money games. I did and won my first real money game. I keep investigating and it looks as if people are making some decent money. Someone has won around $2000 in a span of 48 playing hours. Thats not to bad. Thats like $40 an hour. They are also promising new games in the future.

So I guess my question is: Is this the future of competitive gaming? Are leagues like CAL and competitions like CPL going to die/lose players so people can play online at home and bet real money?

PS - If anyone from 2P2 joins tourney my tourney SN for their IM program is Giners. Hit me up. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Tournament.com - The future of competitive gaming?

What prevents hacking? CAL can't even stop hackers
Old 07-30-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Tournament.com - The future of competitive gaming?

Thats a good question. They have software setup to auto-detect as best as it can, it looks as if (I'm not a hundred percent sure) everygame gets recorded, and they have people who review games and monitor players. Every server you play on has a TV slot so someone can monitor. As with every other sport (it seems like) there are always some players trying to get an edge over other players through some sort of performance drug or in this case cheats.

At the same time I think if hacking was running rampant on this site they wouldn't be able to draw a user base and make money and it seems the site is growing everyday. So as far as I know they are doing a good job (to the best of their abilities) to prevent hacking. They have a list of how many hackers they have banned to date and that current month.