Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Advice when buying your new computer.

Don't ever go directly to a computer-makers website and customize then order your computer. Always go the website, customize the computer to your liking, then CALL the company.

Every time I've done this, I've either gotten a discount or had something thrown in free. I didn't have to ask for it, I just hem-hawed around like I wasn't sure if I wanted it, or I asked how their computers stacked up to another manufacturer.

I've gotten these results twice through Dell, and I just got 10% off on a new Thinkpad T61 just because I called to ask a question about it.

JFYI.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Advice when buying your new computer.

An even cheaper solution is to get a white box.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:00 PM

I read an article awhile ago from a dell kiosk manager and he stated that they have various disgressionary discounts they can give to make a sale if the customer is undecided.

As for the white box I doubt they could compete with dell on price. Then again I don't exactly look.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An even cheaper solution is to get a white box.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually do build my desktops, but I was thinking primarily about laptops when I posted this.

I've built three systems so far, and honestly, if I'm saving any money I don't think it's much. I just prefer to KNOW what parts are going into my computer. Plus, I like to tinker.

With that said, I never ever build computers for other people because then you become their personal tech support, so I always refer them to Dell, etc.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I've built three systems so far, and honestly, if I'm saving any money I don't think it's much. I just prefer to KNOW what parts are going into my computer. Plus, I like to tinker.

With that said, I never ever build computers for other people because then you become their personal tech support, so I always refer them to Dell, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
I whole heartedly agree. Imagine asking the dell rep on the phone how many sata ports the mobo has [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Although on the plus side large OEMs do alot of testing to make sure everything works. I had a board recently where it kept crashing if all 4 DIMMs were filled (serves me right for buying the cheapest board I could find, and one that apparently Asus never meant to release for retail sale)