Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 04:29 PM

Default havings tons of horses

I'm considering investing in horses... NO DON'T PM ME YET. I have some questions.

What kind of % do the horses usually get?
How do you make sure the horse doesn't screw you when he scores big? He wins a couple k and pays you, then scores the big time and runs off with it.

Any comments or helpful advice would be nice. PM me if you do this and have advice/want to collaborate.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: havings tons of horses

I'm considering becoming someones horse
Old 08-20-2007, 05:24 PM

another non-answer and complete sidebar

If you're interested in setting up an investment pool to stake horses, I might be down with that
Old 08-20-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of % do the horses usually get?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is usually 50/50 with payback (for the buy-ins) or 60/40 w/out. I wouldn't quote me on it though.

[ QUOTE ]
How do you make sure the horse doesn't screw you when he scores big? He wins a couple k and pays you, then scores the big time and runs off with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obv. Stake someone you trust. Or figure it into your investment costs.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:34 PM

I've always wondered...when say Myturn stakes someone...and whatever the split is 60/40, 70/30, 80/20 etc. The horse only gets a percentage of the $$ that is above what the buy-in was right?

So if said horse buys in for $500+30 and gets ITM but busts right away...whatever the winnings are say $600, $800, $1000 the backer gets to deduct the buy-in from that right?
Old 08-20-2007, 06:09 PM

any horses I set up always require Stakeback. Also, generally its 50/50 to 60/40 in staker's favor, depending upon skill level. Obv, lower skill level=higher risk and need for greater payout.

If you want a link to a place that can really help you understand staking more shoot me a PM (as I am not sure about the policy on linking directly in posts)
Old 08-20-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you're interested in setting up an investment pool to stake horses, I might be down with that

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an entirely new concept I haven't considered.

I like the idea. Kind of like a Mutual Fund- and investment pool is made. It invests in a bunch of players/horses- and shares are sold to whoever wants them.

We're always talking about ROI and variance- but creating a monster pool of players would drastically reduce variance, and make MTT's a true investment with a solid ROI. The trick is finding the right horses. Most people who are profitable would just assume back themselves. But I think there could be a serious market for the $100-$530 tournament entries.

It's a good idea, but I imagine it's a bitch to track. Maybe someone could contribute some more ideas for this. It would have to be truly large in order to minimize variance.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the idea. Kind of like a Mutual Fund- and investment pool is made. It invests in a bunch of players/horses- and shares are sold to whoever wants them.

We're always talking about ROI and variance- but creating a monster pool of players would drastically reduce variance, and make MTT's a true investment with a solid ROI. The trick is finding the right horses. Most people who are profitable would just assume back themselves. But I think there could be a serious market for the $100-$530 tournament entries.

It's a good idea, but I imagine it's a bitch to track. Maybe someone could contribute some more ideas for this. It would have to be truly large in order to minimize variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought for the longest time players ought to form "teams" to reduce variance. Basically, you get paid a salary by the team owner (monthly, bi-monthly, w/e). That's it. Of course you can negotiate your contract etc. On top of your salary however, you also get paid on commission based on how well you cash.

Thus, you have a guaranteed income, which reduces variance, and incentive to play well (i.e. beat other members of your team).

In any case, I figured it wouldn't work b/c most poker player's tend to have an individualistic orientation and would feel they can make more profits on their own.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The before mentioned link I offered to give out by PM has an interface that makes this VERY simple to do. Simply state your plan, people buy shares, as your total bankroll grows, the site adjust share price.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought for the longest time players ought to form "teams" to reduce variance. Basically, you get paid a salary by the team owner (monthly, bi-monthly, w/e). That's it. Of course you can negotiate your contract etc. On top of your salary however, you also get paid on commission based on how well you cash.

Thus, you have a guaranteed income, which reduces variance, and incentive to play well (i.e. beat other members of your team).

In any case, I figured it wouldn't work b/c most poker player's tend to have an individualistic orientation and would feel they can make more profits on their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both the above ideas are very interesting. Second one could require a lot of work tho.