Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Choice of Avatars and Effects on opponents, Graph incl.

Let me talk to you a little bit about poker avatars. Back in the day when there were few poker sites online, and Party poker was a brand new site, they used to only let you play 4 tables at a time. This was not enough for me, I felt I could handle much more information than the average person. So I went ahead and registered an account in my moms name and my grandmothers name and went to work full time playing poker. With three out of my five computers on my desk used solely for poker playing. I did my first major grinding in the $11 SNGs, where I would start up 4 at a time every 10 mins or so on each computer, and on a good day I would easily play 100 SNGs with a very good winrate. At the end of each day I would look at the results for all my accounts and my Mom and Gramma's accounts were always the highest earning. And this held true atleast 26 days of the month. What was the difference? On Party those 2 accounts had female avatars, and it didnt hurt either that I always sat in the seats where the avatars had big boobs :-). I am just glad that my family never had to hear the names that people used to call those 2 accounts when I went into Pushbot mode and started running over the table. I truly feel bad for any women that play this game and have to take the verbal abuse of some men in this game, esp over the internet.

Over the years I messed w/ my avatars on sites that would let me on and off, But I always turn off all avatars on all my pokersites. I felt like I was playing differently against peoples avatars based on their personality types, that I thought each would choose. So I was reading a post on 2+2 and someone mentioned how they hate being beat by the Afroman avatar on FTP. I have used the puppy dog for my avatar for atleast 500K hands on FTP, and decided I would try using the afroman for a change. I played him for 13K hands, now one thing I noticed is that everyone was playing back at me, and lots of people were Check/raising the flops vs me, I got alot more calls on the turn, a lot more people started 3 betting me PF and on the flop. Basically the Afroman was getting tons and tons of action, Action that imo was not deserved. I just decided to take peoples racism and turn it against them for profit. I thought about changing it every day for 9 days, but for the sake of my experiment I played Afroman for 9 days and 13K hands. I experienced a huge surge of people calling lightly, and playing overly aggressive towards me. This of course leads to lots of variance, which while some people like the thrill of variance, I dont. I just like earning a solid winrate playing 12 tables, 33 hours a week, 83K a month and 1M hands a year. Now over 1M hands variance shouldnt matter, but it does for me because it makes me play shorter sessions, quit sessions early for tilt control reasons, and affects my mood for the day if I drop a couple thousand.

Above is a picture of my results for the month and the terrible downswing I went on at the end of the month. I dont attribute my downswing at the end of the month to afroman, I had several badbeats at the end of the month playing late at night and dropped half of what i made this month in the last 2 days. Just goes to show you how a good player can drop 10 buy-ins in the blink of an eye w/out ever making a wrong move. variance is a bitch. thank god for Rake Back. I love lamp.
**** End C&P ****

has anyone else experimented w/ their avatars? and has anyone else felt themselves playing differently towards a avatar like one of the black girls, as apposed to a shark, or rock avatar? or the Afroman? this is my first post in BBV, wasnt sure if this belonged in Psychology, OOT, or Small Stakes. Mods, if it belongs somewhere else then please move it for me.

Thanx!
Ryan
Old 05-01-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Choice of Avatars and Effects on opponents, Graph incl.

your pictures are broken and you're spamming your blog
Old 05-01-2007, 03:40 PM

a pop up for your blog just appeared?

I hope you are banned.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:41 PM

I got some sort of login popup, too.

LOL "Honest" Ryan.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:55 PM

[image]http://a492.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/45/l_6e2f62b7a7bd887712731985b09715b3.jpg [/image]

My graph pic

once i figure out how to edit I will remove all blogging ref. from my post, and fix my linky. i h8 the intrawebs.

Ryan
Old 05-01-2007, 03:55 PM

i enjoyed it
Old 05-01-2007, 04:04 PM

Jeez ur guys are HARSH.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:12 PM

appearently my web server had some kind of hotlink protection on it, that wont let my pic be linked from other sites. time for me to use flickr or photobucket i guess. oh well. I couldnt figure out how to edit my original post or i would have. sorry for any inconv. mods feel free to delete/edit if you deem it proper.

Ryan

I finally figured it out, servers have public and private directories, duh. graph should be visible now. sry, wont happen again.

[image] http://www.ryanstampke.com/wp-conten...il%20poker.jpg [/image]
Old 05-01-2007, 04:48 PM

I can't believe I am helping you given that I would love to spam my blog here daily yet don't out of respect for 2+2, but you should get a plug in that removes your blog title out of your blog posts so that the page title is the name of the post. And name the titles something that people would search for. You should also remove the archives. All of these things will take your pages out of the supplemental index, since they won't be viewed as duplicate content, and make them findable by people searching on google.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:14 PM

TY for the help Haji. I saw a "how to" for wordpress so that it makes the url, the page title, so i will do that tonight. I also will also remove my archives like you said. I also will check out your blog. TY for the help since Im a noob at this kinda stuff. I also will not post blog related stuff here anymore out of respect for 2+2.

Thanx!
Ryan