Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 05:15 PM

Default The Wheel of Time series

So I'm halfway through the first book and so far this is a pretty enjoyable fantasy series. Pretty straighforward so far but there seems to be some potential. The problem I have is that I read some reviews that say books 6-9 or so start to drag on and seem like the author was just trying to make some filler books for more money.

Has anyone here read the whole series, and if so were they a worthwhile read?
Old 09-09-2006, 05:49 PM

Default Re: The Wheel of Time series

A friend of mine has read them all (or almost all, not sure) and he says that the only reason he reads them was because there is one cool character (don't know which one) that he likes.

But yeah, he said that the books themselves aren't too great.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:02 PM

There are a ton of issues with Jordan's writing, most of which become more and more apparent the more you read. The first three or four books were pretty solid, but then it gets progressively worse. I keep reading them (have read all but the last one, which is on my to-read list) more because I want to know what happens than anything else.

Honestly, there are many better fantasy stories out there. Re-reading Tolkien for the umpteenth time is more enjoyable, for example.

Swede
Old 09-09-2006, 06:13 PM

Yeah I think this series is just not worth it. I quit somewhere around book 7 and wish I had quit much earlier.
Have you already read A Song of Fire and Ice? Because that series is approx 1000000000000000 times better.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone here read the whole series, and if so were they a worthwhile read?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you find someone who has actually read the whole series, don't listen to his opinion. See what Paluka said above.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you already read A Song of Fire and Ice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats one I've been meaning to read. I just dont read that much fantasy (most of it is too generic) but I'll probably pick it up at some point. I might just read the first 4 books of wheel, although thats going to be kind of annoying to cut the story off half way. I heard he originally wanted it to be a 6 book series and then just got carried away and had no real game plan for the series. I think 6 would have been the right number, especially considering their size.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:14 PM

I've read all of the Wheel of Time series, yes it starts to drag in the later books. Still I find them enjoyable, because even though Jordan sucks at resolution and characterization, he does know how to create an intriguing world.

I've also read the Song of Ice and Fire series, and yes that series is amazing, must read.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:14 PM

I made it half way through book 4 and just couldn't bring myself to read anymore.

I would suggest reading either JV Jones or Tad Williams. For the most part, I think fantasy/sci-fi is a genre that attracts the worst writers.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have you already read A Song of Fire and Ice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats one I've been meaning to read. I just dont read that much fantasy (most of it is too generic) but I'll probably pick it up at some point. I might just read the first 4 books of wheel, although thats going to be kind of annoying to cut the story off half way. I heard he originally wanted it to be a 6 book series and then just got carried away and had no real game plan for the series. I think 6 would have been the right number, especially considering their size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously the Song of Fire and Ice is unreal. I can't stress this enough. Comparing it to other stuff is pointless.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:42 AM

I have read the entire series, and I still agree with everyone else. I did enjoy it up until about book 7 or 8 though. But, yeah, the last couple books were just filler. Nothing happens. I heard a rumor that the next book is supposed to end it. I am sure I will read it, but I don't have high hopes.

I also agree with everyone else that George RR Martin's series is a million times better.