Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 12:31 AM

Default When does an offer for a deal expire?

Played in a home tourney and by the time it got heads up blinds were atrocious. I was the "small" stack having to put in 1/4 my stack for BB and my opponent had about twice as many chips as me. It's a 75/25 split for prize money and I ask for 60/40, of which he declines the offer. I win that hand and two hands later we're about even. He then says "OK, I'll do 60/40" at which I replied "I'll only accept 50/50 seeing that we're even now". He didn't agree to that and seemed a little upset. We play one more hand and he folds his small blind then says OK to 50/50 and I agree.

I have always considered an offer for a deal to expire at the end of the current hand. Is this correct?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: When does an offer for a deal expire?

deals expire once play resumes. it is up to the players to rework the parameters of any new deal.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:03 AM

I would say the deal expires with the start of new hand. To avoid confusion in the future get an answer before you start a new hand.

But the key item in your post is his declining. Once an offer is made there are three possibilities - accept, decline or counter offer. Once the other party does any of these the "offer" is completed.
Sounds like he declined your 50/50 offer too so technically that offer was over too. So at the point he says 50/50 he is now offering you the deal and you accepted.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have always considered an offer for a deal to expire at the end of the current hand. Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

It most certainly IS correct- don't let the clown freeroll you. Good change by you- in fact, I might have gone 55/45 after he turned down the second offer, when he had the SB.... punk.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Played in a home tourney and by the time it got heads up blinds were atrocious. I was the "small" stack having to put in 1/4 my stack for BB and my opponent had about twice as many chips as me. It's a 75/25 split for prize money and I ask for 60/40, of which he declines the offer. I win that hand and two hands later we're about even. He then says "OK, I'll do 60/40" at which I replied "I'll only accept 50/50 seeing that we're even now". He didn't agree to that and seemed a little upset. We play one more hand and he folds his small blind then says OK to 50/50 and I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that there's a good rule about this. My chop discussions tend to be just that, discussions, not so much offers. A discussion may take place over several hands but the parameters of the discussion may changes if stack sizes change during the discussion.

In any case, once there's an I don't want that chop, then that's pretty much sayanonara for that "offer."

In your scenarario, where there is an offer that is declined, I don't see how it could be any clearer that the deal is off the table (but can always be put back on the table of course.) Imagine the same scenario you had above except instead of being even in stacks two hands later, you've reduced him to a single chip. Does anybody in their right minds think that he's now entitled to say, hey, I'll take that 60/40 split now.

Even where you have hard and fast "offers" the duration of the current hand can't be the set in stone duration of an offer. For an extreme example, If you say 60/40 while the cards are being dealt, you both get all in on the flop, he sees the turn card crushes him when you make your nut flush to his TPTK, he can't then say, yes I'll take 60/40 just cause the hand is still in play.

--Zetack
Old 04-10-2007, 11:23 PM

As soon as a deal is agreed to by both parties involved no more cards should hit the table so an "offer expiring" should never be an issue.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:13 AM

It has to be this way and only this way...

As soon as ANY ACTION (including looking at hole cards dealt, any bets, any flops, turns or rivers dealt, showdowns, etc, etc) in a hand occurs following a discussion of a deal, the deal is off the table, and any subsequent discussions regarding a deal should not really be related to the terms discussed before the action.

If it is not handled this way, it just isn't fair and angle shooters will take advantage. To be clear, I would say, "ok, no deal for now...let's play on." Of course, you can always go back to the terms of the deal if you still feel like that original deal is still fair.