Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 01:49 PM

Default Borgata trip report: cute like JonBenet

I made a "day" trip to Borgata Saturday with my roommate. We got there around 1 PM and quickly got into games; 1/2 NL for me and 2/4 limit for him. My goal: win money. His goal: drink as many free drinks as possible.

I got into a new game, so no big stacks. I started out patient, but the cards didn't cooperate. I made a move or two and got picked off everytime. I was down about $140 when they opened a 5/10 O/8 with a full kill, so I jumped. We started five-handed, with one lady who had never played before but had seven or eight blackbirds so we were patient with her. I got unstuck real quick, and the table filled up soon after. The game slowed down a lot (the speed, not the quantity of chips flying around) so I got bored and got back on the 1/2 list. Unfortunately, I got called a few minutes too late. I had one of those nut-nut hands on the turn in a nice $300ish kill pot, that got pwned on the river. I had A3QQ on a 26Q8 board, and the 3 on the river worked for somebody with a 54CC (the C stands for Crap).

I went back to the 1/2 NL and bopped along with nothing much happening for pretty much the next 12 hours or so. The 15-way draws that kept missing (I must've had six of them) were eating away at my stack. I set up one hand nicely with nothing against a guy who had shown he'd fold on the end, and then I lost my nerve on the river, and bet $40 into a $200 pot, when a ~$160 all in would've won it. So I was down to just over $100 from the $600 I took with me.

Meanwhile, my roommate was making friends at the 2/4 up front. He nearly got into a fight with a 700-pound father-son team, when he ripped into the dad for slowrolling him. Both my roommate and the son got warned by the floor, and I guess he behaved well enough after that. He got the dad's money in a big pot with quads, which was his poker highlight of the day. (He didn't know the "two pair" slow roll or he could've used it back at him: "I have two pair. Kings and....KINGS!") I went to check on him and he had about 15 of those Borgata drink stirrers that he had been saving from each drink.

Back at the 1/2, I'm very tired but determined to hold out until daylight so I can drive home without dying. So I'm nursing my short stack as well as I can. One hand I could use opinions on: I have 88 in MP. One limper, I limp, and LP guy makes it $14. A blind and the first limper call, and I reraise to $50. I figure I have some decent fold equity here, since the limp-reraise looks very strong. (I have about $275, LP guy has $121 to start the hand.) He pushes, others fold. Now there is his $121, my $50, and the $14 and $14 in the middle, $199. I'm facing $71 more. Nearly 3:1. I need him to have AK or a smaller pair just a small percentage of the time for this to be a call. If I am certain he has an overpair and I know I'm facing 4:1 for sure, then I can fold. I call, he has KK, I lose. I tell him if he had $25 or $50 more, I could've gotten away from it. He laughs and pulls two green chips out of his pocket and says "I was just thinking about adding these to my stack but for some reason I didn't do it." Awesome.

Then some dude on Xanax or something throws out the line of the night: "See, you tried to get cute. That's never a good idea--look what happened to JonBenet." [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

About 3:30 AM, the poker gods decide to smile on me for my patience and my stupidity. We are maybe eight-handed, and probably not far from our table breaking up. Although I hadn't been able to take advantage much, I knew everybody very well at this point so I was not looking forward to that. So I get 88 UTG+1. UTG makes it $20. I have about $250 and I call. So do two others. Flop is 832. UTG bets $45. I just call. One guy behind pushes for $100ish. UTG pushes for another $150 or so. I value-call my nuts. UTG has QQ, other guy has 22. I fade the three daggers twice and score the double kill. I take one more guy down on the very next hand, getting his $100 or so with 99 over 88 on an all-babies flop and break up our table with $720. Somehow.

I hop over to another table where I miss one more 15-way draw and quit with $611. Hooray for breaking even! My roommate and I hit Fatburger downstairs with the rest of the drunks (only 24-hour place open) where he quickly gets us in with two cute Jersey girls (maybe 7s). We are close to having ourselves a place to stay in Jersey when his 20+ drinks catch up to him. He gets a little too vulgar with the chicks (if they were a little sluttier it would've been a good play) and we end up heading back home a little after 5. I'm hoping to keep my eyes open until the sun gets up. We make it off the ACX and are near the bridge when I decide I need a quick nap on the shoulder. 20 minutes I'm awakened by a NJ Trooper banging on my window. He grills me a little about where we've been and where we're going, and decides I am no threat to society. He tells me that if I need more sleep to take the next exit and pull into a parking lot. By now the sun is up and the power nap worked, so we manage to make it home (Central PA) at about 7:30 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Borgata trip report: cute like JonBenet

Cool trip report.

When I need a power nap, I always sleep at a rest stop parking lot. Seems safe to me.

Congrats on your comeback.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:43 PM

What table were you playing at? I was there too Saturday night, and I vaguely remember a commotion from the 2/4 games up front, but I didn't investigate.

BTW, did you see Ted Forrest and co playing in the $2000/$4000 O8 game in the high limit room?
Old 08-21-2006, 04:11 PM

I was in the middle playing 1/2 NL. Don't know the table number. I'm sure the commotion up front was my roommate.

I saw 500/1000 that had Ted Forrest in it. I think it was Stud, Stud/8, and Omaha/8. I also saw a 1000/2000 game that was just Holdem and Omaha I think. That went up to 1500/3000 somebody said, before I left, but I didn't see it.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then some dude on Xanax or something throws out the line of the night: "See, you tried to get cute. That's never a good idea--look what happened to JonBenet."

[/ QUOTE ]

That is totally out of line and uncalled for.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Then some dude on Xanax or something throws out the line of the night: "See, you tried to get cute. That's never a good idea--look what happened to JonBenet."

[/ QUOTE ]

That is totally hilarious and quote-worthy .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 08-21-2006, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yet I still laughed anyway. The bus to hell is filling up boys...I got my seat.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The train isn't that much more expensive and much more comfortable. And let's face it, what are you going to spend your money on in hell?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-21-2006, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

too soon?
Old 08-21-2006, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
im the busdriver