Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Top Pair 2nd Kicker vs. huge floater

Villain is pretty laggy and a huge floater. His fold to cbet over several hundred hands is something like 25. I've seen him make a few moves like this, but he hadn't shown down a hand when he's taken this line. His stats are around 35/17/2.5

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $29.50
BB: $55.20
UTG: $7.65
Hero (MP): $50.00
CO: $64.60
BTN: $32.55

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, 3 folds, BB calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4.00</font>, BB calls $4.00

Turn: ($12.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $9.00</font>, <font color="red">BB raises all-in to $49.20</font>, Hero...
Old 06-26-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Top Pair 2nd Kicker vs. huge floater

I would fold here. This looks like any two pair, 45cc, etc.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:40 PM

I'm really tempted to call this. Board is quite drawy, and although Ax that made 2p make up a large part of his line, if you believe A8+ do too, you have enough equity to do this. The straight would be my main worry.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:41 PM

If he really does take this line that often IŽd call here. you will loose quite often though
Old 06-26-2007, 02:43 PM

tough spot...against typical villian id fold the turn but sounds like this guy is BS. How often does villian c/r turn??? if we have several hundred hands that should give us a good idea of his c/r turn frequency. You said he has taken this line a couple times w/ success so he probably thinks he can keep doin it with crap (if thats what he has) and just keep stealin. Orr he could actually have a hand obv....If you think villian is capable of bluffin a draw or air here or does this w/ Ax then i like a call here. But from my experience a c/r on turn is usually the nutz but obv villian dependent...
Old 06-26-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen him make a few moves like this

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't flop the nuts every hand; call.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:59 PM

You should have checked behind on the turn. Your bet sized the pot to allow the villain to move in and put you to the test with a marginal hand.

As played, I tend to fold here. You don't beat much.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have checked behind on the turn. Your bet sized the pot to allow the villain to move in and put you to the test with a marginal hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

"His fold to cbet over several hundred hands is something like 25"

Im value bettin the [censored] out of this villian.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As played, I tend to fold here. You don't beat much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is nonsense. Hero should have bet pot on the turn so he can value-shove a blank river.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:35 PM

Fair enough.

My contention is that if this guy is that sort of aggressive player, why do you want to play for your whole stack on the turn? You don't have a "play for your stack" kind of hand. You have position, use it. To me, that is what position is for. If you're going to play for your whole stack, let him bluff the river and move in. You get to put in the critical bet.

Given the way it played out, betting lets an aggressive villain make the critical bet. The pot is sized such that the villain can put in a big bet that you don't want to call on a draw heavy board. You let him use all of the tools in his laggy bag while you are forced to call and hope he doesn't have a hand. Putting yourself on tough decisions with aggressive players is a tough road in NL.

If the stacks were differently sized, I would be much more inclined to bet. Particularly, if shorter the villain can't bluff because you're priced into pretty much everything.