Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Hitler, Victor Salva, R. Kelly, etc.

I was just wondering what people's thoughts are in separating the artist from the art. Could you enjoy a watercolor by Hitler? What about a movie directed by a child molester? The hook of a song sung by a dude that pees on adolescents?

This was a frequent debate in my household and I usually came to the conclusion that it was impossible for me to separate the man from the art.

It was almost surreal, my freshman year in college watching girls at the club grind to "Ignition (Remix)". R. Kelly married Aaliyah when she was 15. There is a video which I'm sure many of you have seen where he is having sex with and then urinating on a 14-yr old. These same girls in the club would be holding protest banners, signing petitions, etc. if I told them that someone like this was around.

I understand that we obviously give celebrities a long leash when it comes to drugs, alcohol, etc. but shouldn't there be a point at which we draw the line and say enough? Blow coke of some strippers and you can still win an Oscar or make a platinum album, but have sex with children, and too bad, goodbye.

Even female pop/R&B stars that do duets with R. Kelly, seems like selling your soul for shipping more CDs.

I think it would be even tougher if I grew to like a piece of art and then came to learn such details, but its still something that I think about on a regular basis.

For Your Consideration:

Hitler Watercolor (a set of his work sold for a quarter million last yr):

R. Kelly absolutely kills on this song:

"Make it Rain" Remix (Youtube video)

Victor Salva (directed Powder, Jeepers Creepers...also videotaped himself having sex with a 12-yr old boy)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Salva
Old 02-20-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Hitler, Victor Salva, R. Kelly, etc.

Can one enjoy pro sports knowing 90% of the athletes are serial wife/girlfriend beaters and dead-beat dads?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can one enjoy pro sports knowing 90% of the athletes are serial wife/girlfriend beaters and dead-beat dads?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is hyperbole though, or at best conjecture. we can easily say our favorite athlete is not one of these things. but theres no disputing that r kelly peed on and had sex with a 14 year old.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
theres no disputing that r kelly peed on and had sex with a 14 year old.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm okay with the peeing.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is hyperbole though, or at best conjecture. we can easily say our favorite athlete is not one of these things. but theres no disputing that r kelly peed on and had sex with a 14 year old.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's easier for paintings and movies (where the criminal isn't seen) to be enjoyed rather than someone where you have to hear their voice or see their face. I can honestly say I enjoy that painting, where as if Hitler was the star actor in an upcoming movie I would avoid seeing it.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can one enjoy the NBA/NFL knowing that 90% of the athletes are serial wife/girlfriend beaters and dead-beat dads? What about the MLB where the figure is still an astonishing 30%?

[/ QUOTE ]

Com'on, not every pro sport has thugs.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Something tells me this number is a bit inflated. And to tell you the truth, no. I used to be a big Red Sox fan and when Wilferdo Cordeiro got arrested for hitting his wife with a phone or something, I never once rooted for his success, and in fact rooted for his failure.

I'm not saying that I can't enjoy the work/accomplishments of a flawed individual, but can a line be drawn?

Personally, any paintings by Hitler would be interesting, and a great conversation piece, but I can't help but view them with distaste.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:21 PM

Awesome painting, I really like it. Are you sure Mr. Angry Hitler painted it? It looks so peaceful...
Old 02-20-2007, 10:28 PM

LOL. Pretty much if someone can entertain ppl, they can survive any kind of controversy. I am aware of the R. Kelly situation (still in litigation BTW), but i have to admit the guy has/makes some catchy songs.

I refuse to even attempt to search for that sex tape tho. I rather believe it didnt exist.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:31 PM

Little known fact: Joseph Stalin was a pretty mediocre tap dancer