Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 08:45 AM

Default A3s strategy question?

I probably should have raised PF, but given that i didnt

Yes Opp may fold out if I bet, but if he calls here I am kinda stuck, no? an A he probably has a higher kicker, an 8 I am toast...should a C/R be a better way to go here? I am really reluctant to bet the turn here, Do I assume a flush draw and bet again?

so my question is having called: Should I bet the flop?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

<font color="black">Hero (SB): $14.15</font>
BB: $5.75
UTG: $8.60
CO: $6.65
BTN: $2.45

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
3 folds, Hero calls $0.05, BB checks

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($0.20) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.20</font>, BB calls $0.20

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($0.60) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets $0.60</font>, Hero folds

Pot Size: $1.20
Old 05-14-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Re: A3s strategy question?

I bet $0.15 on the flop and $0.45 on the turn. His bet doesn't look like a value bet, so I'd call and fold to further aggression.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:06 AM

Definately bet the flop.

On the turn, don't forget that if he has an ace with a kicker under 8, then you have the same hand as him , aces and eights with 9 kicker. If he had a kicker higher than 9, you would figure he would PROBABLY raise PF, so I wouldn't be so worried about an ace.

He might have a random 8 and you'd be toast, but he might be on a FD too, and a small PP is possible too.

I think i'd probably call and try to show down as cheap as possible, if another flush card comes I would consider folding the river. If a blank came and he bet big on the river, I might lay down too as you would figure he wouldn't bet big with a med. strength hand like a pair of aces.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:53 AM

I would almost never bet this flop. You are either way ahead or way behind here and here and are only worried about a flush draw. This isnt the sort of hand you want to be value betting every street, because you arent being called by anything you beat. I check and give him a chance to bluff a worse hand or maybe pick up a second best pair. Betting this flop against competent player results in either you betting into a better hand or folding out a worse hand. The way to make the most money in this situation against your average player is to check.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:14 PM

Good fold I could of done the same.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:37 PM

I'm almost always raising this PF. It's HU you have a better than average hand and you're oop post flop. In an unraised pot a lot of people will just call with almost anything with position to see what you do on the turn. You put a bet in on the flop and gave the pot away. I'm not saying you were'nt beaten. It's entirely possible. Limping in from the SB is imo one of the weakest preflop plays you can make. If you had raised you might have picked up the blinds and you get more credit for an ace on the flop at 10NL.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:42 PM

He doesnt want credit for his ace on the flop though. If he gets credit, he isnt making any more money.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He doesnt want credit for his ace on the flop though. If he gets credit, he isnt making any more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno about this. I do understand wa/wb but in these types of hands I like to see the following lines in priority:

1)Hero raises preflop
Villain Folds,

2)Hero raises preflop
Villain calls
Hero cbets flop
Villain folds.

This is a situation where your hand is good enough to raise preflop. If your cbet gets called then fine, you dont know where you stand especially if the turn is a club, in which case you're almost always beaten by an Ace with a kicker &gt; 3, an 8 or a club draw. By raising preflop and cbetting you're taking this down on the flop more often than not which we should be happy with. This is'nt a hand where you are looking for action because getting called leaves you lost on the turn oop. Checking does the same thing though. What do you do if you check the flop and villain checks behind? Now do you fire a bet? You're still wa/wb though more often ahead at this point, but still in a predicament where you only get called by something that beats you. The only difference is, you've given a free card.

What if you had QJ here and raised to steal preflop? Would a cbet not be in order? Of course it would because there is an Ace on board and you can probably take down the pot.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:17 PM

I agree with the pot the flop idea. At this level, IMO, anybody with two clubs will call your bet on the flop (or he possibly could have a pocket pair - many in this position would also call). Cardinal sin IMO to give them a free card.

Since I think these two possibilities are the most likely scenarios, your check on the turn is a dream for them and encourages the bluff (I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn up 9To)

You must pot the turn and fold if necessary to a raise.

ps Why did you check the turn? OK he might have Ace plus better kicker but if so wouldn't you expect a raise on the flop? I think there are plenty of hands you're beating here.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would almost never bet this flop. You are either way ahead or way behind here and here and are only worried about a flush draw. This isnt the sort of hand you want to be value betting every street, because you arent being called by anything you beat. I check and give him a chance to bluff a worse hand or maybe pick up a second best pair. Betting this flop against competent player results in either you betting into a better hand or folding out a worse hand. The way to make the most money in this situation against your average player is to check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda thought this afterwards..........