Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 09:35 PM

Default Books about billiards strategy?

Do you have any specific recommendations? There seem to be a heep of choices on amzn.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Books about billiards strategy?

So there are.

Depending on your talent level and commitment, I can't foresee Stephen Hendry's Snooker Masterclass being a bad read. The man reigned atop the rankings for a very long time, and is considered one of the best snooker players ever.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:37 AM

Depends on what you mean by billiards. I'm in the UK I think of billiards as straight billiards (straight rail) or 3-cushion billiards but snooker and pool are also billiard games as well of course.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:33 PM

goto some billiard forums

if it's just shots, Byrne's standard book is good

if it's strategy, I don't know
Old 11-05-2006, 10:25 PM

For billiards it is probably hard to find much American stuff out there. There is a hard to find book on position play in 3C written by Eddie Robin I think. He also has a renowned book for one pocket which I have not seen. You might try Caudron's website for billiards as he is one of the few who is great at both the small games and 3C apparently. I don't have any of his stuff tho and don't get to play much billiards. There is also a 4 volume set I have not read about systems and shots called the billiards atlas. Some of it might apply a little to pool.

Onto the pockets games, if that is what youwere after. For pool you might want to check the game specific books from Capelle. He has a straight pool, 9 ball and 8 ball one. His stuff is pretty good. The only one pocket book I have is by Kohler I think, not that interesting, but I admit I have not really tried to do much w/it. There are a couple of other sources for 8 ball I think, but have not read them. One pocket seems to have some videos here and there, I have one and it is pretty good by Incardona. For banks the clear choice and only real choice is Bentavegna's book Banking with the beard, which is outstanding. A whole lot of information and some good stories. The information is way beyond what you find in most pool books, and is a must read if you ever have occasion to bank a ball.

Snooker I dunno, you'd have to ask the UK guys.