Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 11:39 AM

Default overbet push from terrible player

player is like 50/30 and seems to be quite overaggressive. I haven't seen him play too many hands but he's definitely spewing.

I have 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the button. all fold to him he raises 3xbb, I call.

effective stacks $600

flop (3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) $100 in pot
he bets $50, I call

(figuring I've got implied odds for a backdoor flush draw or hitting my gut shot, and I might just float him)

turn (6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) $200 in pot
he goes all in ($500), I??

can a good argument be made for calling here? or is it just spew?

Edit: we actually do have some history here. I was running over him earlier in the day. Not sure if he realizes that I'm the same person he was playing then though
Old 03-25-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: overbet push from terrible player

insta fold
Old 03-25-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
insta fold

[/ QUOTE ]

ok...I know that this would be the standard decision. I'm actually asking whether you think calling is spewing or not, or to give the reasons you would never call.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:52 AM

i don't understand the argument for calling. i'm sure you did and won.

the question is, what's the worst hand you would call this with? that's more interesting than whether to fold or call this particular hand. i mean if you think all overbets are nuts or air, then it seems like a call, but you never know with donkeys. find a better spot.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
insta fold

[/ QUOTE ]

ok...I know that this would be the standard decision. I'm actually asking whether you think calling is spewing or not, or to give the reasons you would never call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you see some crap J or a hand like 99 very often.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually asking whether you think calling is spewing or not

[/ QUOTE ]

calling here is a spew for the same reasons folding is standard..

like Triumph said, whats more interesting is where you draw that line, very hard to define.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't understand the argument for calling. i'm sure you did and won.

the question is, what's the worst hand you would call this with? that's more interesting than whether to fold or call this particular hand. i mean if you think all overbets are nuts or air, then it seems like a call, but you never know with donkeys. find a better spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

nuts or air or a semibluff. I'm thinking that calling here is probably a mistake. However his cb on the flop really can't tell me much and given how loose he is its entirely possible that the 6 gave him a straight draw or that the 2nd diamond gave him a flush draw.

It's a dry board and my most likely holding from his perspective is probably a medium pocket pair or maybe a weak J. pushing with a semibluff makes sense...pushin with a lock hand like an overpair or AJ doesn't seem to make much sense. pushing with TT or down doesn't make much sense either.

so yeah, I thinke he's got a set here, a bluff, or a semibluff...and I think he's range is probably weighted towards a bluff....

as to find a better spot. Why? if he doubles up on me I can rebuy and still have him pretty much covered.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:25 PM

i would never ever call here. Maybe your good but if hes this bad you can pick a MUCH better spot.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:59 PM

The problem with waiting is that you want to get his money before the other players do. This isn't a tournament, there isn't a reason to wait for a better spot if this one is +EV and you'll still have enough to cover later. This is probably super marginal, but I don't mind a call here if his range is really weighted towards the bluff. If those bluffing hands include random crap that beats you, then it's a bad situation - if not, then call away...