Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 12:46 AM

Default What\'s working in your area?

One of the nice features of the federal system is that states can serve as laboratories where programs that work can be expanded nationally. IIRC, the current minimalist federal TANF program was pioneered in Wisconsin by Tommy Thompson, who is currently running for president.

I was wondering if there is anything that your state, local or overseas government is doing well that could be applied elsewhere.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Re: What\'s working in your area?

I question the way these programs are expanded to the national level. If they're adopted by all the states fine, but isn't the point of a constitutional republic to allow people to vote with their feet so-to-speak and move to a different state if one becomes too oppressive? If all these programs get adopted on the federal level, won't all the states become identical?

I'm struggling to think of any state program in Mass that really works. I doubt the rest of the country wants big-dig type projects. Oh, we have socialized healthcare here. I love the ad they're running on tv. No joke, it says this:

"Everyone needs health insurance. That's why Massachusetts now requires everyone to get it"

Uhh, Mitt, that's not really helping DUCY??

Also, here's a helpful hint, anytime you're signing a bill with Teddy Kennedy, there's a fair chance it's not such a great idea and not something that's gonna endear you to the Republican base.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I question the way these programs are expanded to the national level. If they're adopted by all the states fine, ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point.

It's great that we have different states that theoretically can experiment/differentiate based on how their people want to vote. If we adopt the "good ideas" and mandate them for all states, then we have just subverted this process. Let the people adopt it on a state-by-state basis if its so good, don't shove it down their throat against their will. I lived in Louisiana when it still had a lower drinking age. Who are the people of Massachusetts or Nebraska to weigh in on this issue in another state? Let them decide for themselves -- that's the essence of democracy.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone needs health insurance. That's why Massachusetts now requires everyone to get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god that commercial puts me on mad tilt.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:59 AM

One idea from my area is a Regional Transit Authority. The public transit in Chicago is split between 3 different agencies: City, Suburban Bus and Suburban Rail. Obviously without coordination, it would be very hard to coordinate schedules. The RTA handles these duties and acts as a financial watchdog to minimize waste and reward good programs.

Another Transit idea is a vanpool program run by the Suburban Bus agency. They give vans for free to designated drivers who are allowed to use the van for personal use. In exchange, the driver rounds up a vanpool and the riders pay a fee to the transit agency. These vans usually recover 90% of their expenses from the fares, which is much better than the 50% which is standard for other forms of transit.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:19 AM

LMAO,are you kidding...this is Ohio,nothing works here.Not even the politicians.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:59 AM

Utah has their 3.2% cap on alcohol concentraton -- seems to work GREAT for them. Ready for the feds to sign the rest of us up?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:19 AM

My area is a liberal, progressive college party town. Separation of Church and State work here, as to loose noise ordinances and late curfews. Are we to expect that these same laws work just as well in small, quiet, conservative Bible Belt communities?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:09 PM

I don't know if this is already national or not (I assume it is) but in MA there are places you can go to renew your drivers license and do a few other things like that at these little places in malls and stuff. It put at least a tiny fire under the RMV's ass as well as ended the 3 hour long lines.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if this is already national or not (I assume it is) but in MA there are places you can go to renew your drivers license and do a few other things like that at these little places in malls and stuff. It put at least a tiny fire under the RMV's ass as well as ended the 3 hour long lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

These have existed for a long time in lots of states. We call them license offices in Missouri. Sure, they're convenient, but the truth is, they're patronage slots for whatever party is in power. If party control shifts, everyone who works there is fired and the contract is awarded to whoever contributed heavily to the last campaign. Convenient as they are they're really a form of corruption. I'd have no problem if they were really awarded on the basis of open bidding, but that's not about to happen. They're still better than the real DMV.