Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Preparing for awkward stacks oop, what would you be thinking here?

About your future lines and how do you shape them with your raise here. Thanks

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t1270)
UTG (t1545)
MP1 (t2860)
MP2 (t1855)
CO (t1480)
Button (t1855)
SB (t2635)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t50, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ...
Old 04-14-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Preparing for awkward stacks oop, what would you be thinking here?

Make it 200 PF, cbet if you miss. If you get called, reevaluate and c/f turn. If you feel he is weak and floats you light, then crai on the turn. Make sure you also do that when you have a hand.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:53 PM

optimally i would like to set upp a go n go with a potbet left on flop. this stack doesnt allow that though.

so id probably consider myself all-in already and do something like 250-300 pf and bet/call any flop.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make it 200 PF, cbet if you miss. If you get called, reevaluate and c/f turn. If you feel he is weak and floats you light, then crai on the turn. Make sure you also do that when you have a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

90% of the time this line ends the hand by the flop and stack sizes don't play. There are times when I would just complete here and c/c any flop depending on the opponent.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:39 PM

hero is bb
Old 04-14-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
optimally i would like to set upp a go n go with a potbet left on flop. this stack doesnt allow that though.

so id probably consider myself all-in already and do something like 250-300 pf and bet/call any flop.

[/ QUOTE ]whats a go and go, u have a link?
Old 04-15-2007, 06:17 AM

no, i dont do well with links.

but simply taking initiative pf and flop (think its assumed stacks are quite shallow so pf and flop actions are the only effective rounds). relate it to stop n go where u dont take the initiative pf but simply call a raise and then take initiative on flop basically pushing or committing yourself.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:49 AM

Depends on Villain, but the lines I often take with this stack size (and a most hands, not just AK) are:

(1) Make it t200-t250, crai on almost any flop. If Villain checks behind on the flop, then board texture dictates how I play the rest of the hand.

(2) Make it t250, bet/call most flops; or bet flop, push turn; or bet flop, c/f turn.

(3) Check preflop, see what the flop brings, act accordingly (I use this rarely w/AK and typically only with reads).
Old 04-15-2007, 07:11 AM

I'd be wondering what he was limping UTG with. Against some opponents (tricky ones, or those that can't fold a pocket pair under any circumstances on any flop) I might just check behind and see what the flop brought. If he's a donk who can't fold an A preflop and likes to call big bets with mediocre hands, I'll raise to about 250 and overbet push any flop. Usually they're somewhere in between so it's not so simple. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

You could make a strictly pot-sized raise (125), putting 275 in the pot if called with 1150ish behind - meaning that a failed c-bet of 200 or so wouldn't cripple you. I hate making it this cheap to play in position but I think it might be better than making a larger raise (against some opponents).

I'd be equally happy to check preflop - always good for surprise stacking value, and if he likes his hand more than I like mine after the flop I can get away very easily.