Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2006, 05:56 PM

Default Cardio poker

When I was with family over the holidays, I had the opportunity to exercise on their elliptical trainer while within their wireless network. That weekend, I wrote an AHK script to use an old gamepad to play poker. (Including GetInWaitlist, TakeTable, etc.) Then I used MTH to 6-table $0.50/$1 while exercising. It was awesome.

I have elliptical trainers in my condo's gym, and usually watch movies. Yesterday I took my laptop down, and discovered that this is the one room in the entire building that's not within somebody's unsecured wifi. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I can't even see a secure one. (I thought about going and making friends with my near-gym neighbors, but it wouldn't even help.)

The thing is, I'm willing to spend some money on this project; if it works, I'll be getting paid way more than minimum wage to exercise, so I don't mind spending some up front. I'm not sure of the best plan, though.

My laptop has a modem, but I haven't found any phone ports in the gym or nearby rooms. (I wouldn't mind stringing a 50' phone chord, if I had to.) My cell phone is a fancy ipaq thingy. Could I use that as a modem? I'll be exercising during free-time, so I don't mind the cell bill. What if I was willing to pay for the phone data network?

Any ideas?
-Sam

P.S. I'm happy to share my AHK script if anybody wants it. It's slick. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2006, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Cardio poker

OT -
If you do HIIT cardio you only need 15 minutes a day a couple of times a week. You should be focusing on the cardio and not on poker.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should be focusing on the cardio and not on poker.

[/ QUOTE ]It's when I'm focusing on the cardio that I get unhappy. When I have music and movies to distract me, I'm much more content.

My cardio is decently intense. The machine says I burn 1000 calories during the hour. (I don't really believe it.) It's intense enough that the lack of bloodflow to my brain makes sitcoms funny. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I once teared-up during a sad moment in Friends. It wasn't my proudest moment.

The real question will be whether this exhaustion will effect my poker, too. I usually play $5/$10. I'd like to massively multitable $2/$4 while exercising, but maybe on the trainer, I'm a fish like all the rest.

Now, no more thread-hijacking. How do I get my laptop online?
-Sam
Old 01-02-2006, 08:30 PM

Buy an elliptical trainer for your apartment.

1) it's easier and probably cheaper than doing some convoluted network hookup in a gym

b) multi-tabling online poker just doesn't sound like something you'd want to do in a public place

I have a monitor on the wall in front of the treadmill in my house and a laptop affixed to the top. Works great, and I can feel free to react naturally to the ups and downs without a crowd watching.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could I use that as a modem? I'll be exercising during free-time, so I don't mind the cell bill. What if I was willing to pay for the phone data network?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is your service provider?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) it's easier and probably cheaper than doing some convoluted network hookup in a gym

b) multi-tabling online poker just doesn't sound like something you'd want to do in a public place

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the obvious solution.

UNLESS you are just an attention-whore who WANTS people to stare and gawk and ask a bunch of questions WHILE you are exer-poker-cizing
Old 01-02-2006, 09:21 PM

Whenever i do the treadmill i set up the laptop. I have found (small sample size) my ring game does suffer a little, but (small sample size) my s&g's are improved, likely because of less tables so i can watch each player more.

rJ
Old 01-03-2006, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Could I use that as a modem? I'll be exercising during free-time, so I don't mind the cell bill. What if I was willing to pay for the phone data network?

[/ QUOTE ]Who is your service provider?

[/ QUOTE ]I'm with Cingular.

As to the suggestions that I buy an elliptical trainer, I'm disinclined to pay the space OR the $500 it would take to get a crummy version of what I have for free already. There are two great machines in an empty gym that I pay for with facility fees. I'd be a lonely attention-whore indeed in this tiny exercise room.

I was hoping for somebody to say "Oh, you should get <this>. It's a PCMCIA cell-modem." or "You should get <that>. It's an external, long-cable extension for your wifi antanae so you can get the wifi from the hall." or SOMETHING. I can't believe the zoo's letting me down.
-Sam
Old 01-03-2006, 02:41 AM

I'm just about to buy an exercise bike, and use it at my desk.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:43 AM

There's nothing wrong with doing low intensity while working. I'm getting an exercise bike for when I play. It's not going to replace a run, but it will be like walking for 2hrs, which is pretty good for you.