Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re-steal theory question

I posted this in MTT strategy but wanted to make sure I got the high roller opinion...

"I've read several posts discussing situations where stack sizes were 'ideal' for re-stealing. Anyone care to quantify this in terms of M, #of BBs or stack to pot ratios? Please state why your recommended ratios are what you consider ideal, or why you think someone else got it wrong. Thanks."
Old 08-08-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Re-steal theory question

effective M of like 3-5 is pretty good
Old 08-08-2007, 05:26 PM

Have you checked THIS out?
Old 08-08-2007, 05:47 PM

I think a resteal is best done when your stack size represents about 1/5th-1/10th of the standard opening raise at the blind level. ie blinds are 500/1000 so standard opening raise is 2500-3000, i'll be likely to resteal with a stack size between 12500 and 25000
Old 08-08-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you checked THIS out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been through that thread before and the earlier one referenced in it, thanks for highlighting it again. With the ever-evolving norms in online tourneys, I wanted to revisit this to get some fresh opinions and re-build my base mechanics when it come to re-stealing.
Obviously re-stealing(like everything else in poker) can be very situational, but I'm trying to develop a good structure for myself to eliminate fundamental mistakes with manuevers like this. This way I can review my HH from a given tourney and be able easily seperate my mechanical errors from misreads/bad luck etc.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a resteal is best done when your stack size represents about 1/5th-1/10th of the standard opening raise at the blind level. ie blinds are 500/1000 so standard opening raise is 2500-3000, i'll be likely to resteal with a stack size between 12500 and 25000

[/ QUOTE ]
Word, although preferrably a bit more with big antes like on FTP.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:39 AM

12-18 BBs ish
Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 AM

Seems like everyone has responded with their preferred re-steal push stack size. Anyone care to comment on deepstack re-steal considerations? Min stack size, re-raise size victim min stack size, etc.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:23 AM

I don't quite get posts like these. Its not like there are blocks that determine what sizes you can and can't resteal against. Its completely dependent on your villains raising range, and villains calling range. As an example, if both blinds are like 26 bets deep, I am raising significantly wider than if they are 17 bets deep. Since their stacks are so much deeper, I can't call resteals nearly as wide just because I am not getting as good of pot odds, and they are also committing a lot more to win a small amount relative to what they are risking. This causes my opening range to be wide, my calling range to be thin, so it means their restealing range can be wider than it should against many players.

I guess what I'm saying is that theres no magic restealing stack sizes that are great, and it all depends on how your opponents adapt to stack sizes and interpret your play.

To answer your question, I'd say like 12-14 BB is where resteals can make villain play most incorrectly.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:12 AM

Timex,
I'm not looking for any magic sizes or numbers, just trying to build a solid base to work from and get some input from differing points of view. Some things that seem obvious to me now, didn't a few months ago. Right now stack considerations for re-steals are as automatic for me as I would like so I'm hoping getting other opinions will improve my understanding.
Thanks for your input from the point of view of both individuals involved. Care to comment on deep stack re-steal play?