Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2007, 04:52 PM

Default WSOP qualifier... should I have played it like I did?

I'll post the hand history at the very end for those that like to see the information that way, but I'll explain the situation first and would like to see what you think I and him have before you actually know it...

I haven't posted before and usually figure my own out, but I can't figure this one out for sure, I still think I did right though... Thanks in advance for your time and any advice and thoughts!!!

40 players left out of the original 170, $322 buy-in that I satellited into for cheap... when this hand came I had JUST gotten up to the average last round with a BB hand against the SB that hit the river but was checked to give me a nice opportunity to bet, giving me an M of around 11... 40 players left, blinds increasing, top 4 get the 12k WSOP package

200/400 blinds, with a 50 ante
Button is chip leader with 25k
I'm at 11.8k and SB
BB is at 1.4k

Everyone folds to the button, the chip leader, who min raises to 800.. I'm SB... the BB barely has enough for another round... So the button min raises, the table had been fairly weak and folding lately... so I reraise to 2500, BB goes all-in for less than that, the Button just calls me, which he was more than getting odds for at this point

The flop comes 3 5 3 rainbow... I go all-in for my remaining 9348, into a pot of around 7.5k

What hand would you put me on here?
What cards would you need to call me?
Your still chip leader with a couple people near you if you fold, having invested 2.5k from your 26k
If you call and lose your down to 14k with the average at 12.5k, blinds about to increase, 40 players left, top 4 getting entry...

Turns out he had pocket 7s.. would you call with those?
Would you think you had me beat, and would it be worth the risk?

I actually had Ace 5 unsuited, so had hit "top pair", I know on that board its a small hit, with an ace to back me up

Side pot of around 1.6k, but I wanted to isolate... and the BB was 6-5 so would have hit 2 pair and I would have lost it anyways, but with his situation that really isn't a factor to my decision.. I felt good against his basically forced hand...

I couldn't bet less than all-in... would you have tried to check? Leaving you with 9k if the button bet... with blinds increasing to make it 1200 a round, giving you an M of less than 9...

There was no read on me to say I was loose, he had only been at the table for about 10 hands, the only hand he saw me play was the unraised BB vs SB which I won with a check on the flop, bet on the turn that was called when I had a open ended straight and flush draw that hit on the river, then a decent callable bet on the river...

Is there anything in that that would say a pair of 7s was still good? I would have played Queens the EXACT same way, possibly jacks and kings as well... 8s through 10s I would have made the pre-flop raise there, possibly higher, and most likely pushed the same way on that flop... I'm of the mind that he made the right move, but with the information he had that it was actually a pretty bad call on his part... am I wrong?

Hand History for those that like them:

Full Tilt Poker Game #1936328898: WSOP Tuesday Qualifier (14215523), Table 18 - 200/400 Ante 50 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:48:46 ET - 2007/03/06
Seat 1: Deraz (17,240)
Seat 2: HighRising (26,430)
Seat 4: BubbaBoy89 (11,898)
Seat 5: eskimovenom (1,480)
Seat 6: Howdoiplayxx (9,555)
Seat 7: Buckohfive (16,290)
Seat 8: TallThinMan (3,799)
Seat 9: ctsurg430 (14,920)
Deraz antes 50
HighRising antes 50
BubbaBoy89 antes 50
eskimovenom antes 50