Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Atheist Critique of Dawkins, Hitchens, et al.

I just read a pretty interesting review of some the new atheist "attack" books. He points out some interesting things and I thought some of you might enjoy it.

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarti...p;ItemID=12845
Old 05-19-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Atheist Critique of Dawkins, Hitchens, et al.

Meh, barely started and I already disagree with his major premise, that religion has ONLY RECENTLY become some major issue, because now people are crashing planes into buildings. Crashing planes into buildings <<<< banning gay marriage and all the other associated suffering that religion causes. With that in mind, it is far less important that Dawkins et al. have a solution in mind, and far more important that we just end the suffering as soon as possible.

Of course, thats granting that religion is really the cause of any of this suffering, which this reviewer does when talking about 9/11.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh, barely started and I already disagree with his major premise, that religion has ONLY RECENTLY become some major issue, because now people are crashing planes into buildings. Crashing planes into buildings <<<< banning gay marriage and all the other associated suffering that religion causes. With that in mind, it is far less important that Dawkins et al. have a solution in mind, and far more important that we just end the suffering as soon as possible.

Of course, thats granting that religion is really the cause of any of this suffering, which this reviewer does when talking about 9/11.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't possibly argue that religion was even close to as big a deal before 9/11 as it is now. I don't think that he's saying that it is any more or less important, just that's it's much more prominent in our society's thoughts.

Anyway, I don't necessarily agree with the whole thing, but it's interesting how he points out some of the historical inaccuracies that many of these writers use.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which of course it is not. It is the misinterpretation of religion that is the cause. Well I guess we can stretch it and say since religion was misinterpreted it is therefore the prime cause.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which of course it is not. It is the misinterpretation of religion that is the cause. Well I guess we can stretch it and say since religion was misinterpreted it is therefore the prime cause.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, as if "misinterpreted religion" is a meaningful phrase. Just because they call their religion the same word (Islam) doesn't mean its the same religion...but it certainly doesn't mean its misinterpreted. Its just differently interpreted...thats the fun of religion!

If people accept the premise that religion can tell you to do good things, there is absolutely no reason they won't accept that religion can tell you to do bad things. What would stop them?
Old 05-19-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, as if "misinterpreted religion" is a meaningful phrase.

[/ QUOTE ]

Touché.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:27 PM

Seriously though. To say that you can’t misinterpret religion is no different than to say that you can’t misinterpret Literature or Art. Theoretically I can say that Moby Dick is about gay sex. I suppose I can concoct a nice story to show how this is so. I could not be proven wrong, especially since Melville is dead.

But, we do need to have some parameters when discussing things, otherwise why talk?
Old 05-19-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously though. To say that you can’t misinterpret religion is no different than to say that you can’t misinterpret Literature or Art. Theoretically I can say that Moby Dick is about gay sex. I suppose I can concoct a nice story to show how this is so. I could not be proven wrong, especially since Melville is dead.

But, we do need to have some parameters when discussing things, otherwise why talk?

[/ QUOTE ]
Its not really like that, though. Because I can write a book, call it Moby Dick, and then make it about gay sex. NOW who is correct? I mean, if your point is they are misinterpreting the Koran, you'd have to argue it out with them. But if your point is they are misinterpreting religion, its a meaningless phrase. There is no correct interpretation of religion...all of them are equally valid. The FSM teaches us all this glorious lesson.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:52 PM

Yes, my original point was that they are misinterpreting the Koran. Islam is based on the Koran. What am I missing?
Old 05-19-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, my point original point was that they are misinterpreting the Koran. Islam is based on the Koran. What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Their Islam is based on the Koran and a bunch of other wackos telling them to kill people.