Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 11:24 PM

Default Malloreon 2: Signup and discussion thread

This thread is both a signup and discussion for Malloreon 2.

For those unfamiliar, Malloreon is a werewolf/mafia style game based on the book series of the same name by David Eddings. Here is a link to the signup thread, here is the game thread. If you didn't play I would suggest reading at least the OP for the game thread, which describes the rules.

While I think it was a fun, dynamic game, and I'm pleased that others have since used some of the better elements, there were a few problems. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Here were the issues:

1. Light (village) was too weak. They got a great opening rand(), had assassinations work out, won IIRC two coin flips, and generally dominated and still very narrowly won outright.

2. Zakath (convertible character, starts evil) is basically a lame-duck character. Until he gets converted he doesn't really have much incentive to fight for dark. Whether converted or not, at the end of the day he's going to be on a team that's losing. Another win condition of some sort of be good here. Nothing jumps out WRT the books, suggestions are desperately wanted here as VR and I have come up empty despite discussing it often.

3. Related to both of the above, but Cyradis' power is limited in terms of slowing down light. If dark is winning she can simply come out and give up what she has. Giving up a wolf or two drastically changes the game. In addition, being able to convert 'Zakath is big. When Light is winning she and Toth can add 3 votes to villagers and can give up power characters to the bad guys, but those don't help all that much. I'm on the fence about strengthening her power because most games should be pretty close, but having to have Toth die is going to be a bit difficult. VR has made a suggestion, which I have added below (#3).

So the above are the main problems. VR or others may want to add something.

Here are some questions that have been raised that I would like people's opinions on:

1. Should Toth be able to vote himself? With two votes that's quite strong. He would give himself away but of course could just do it at the last minute. I think arranging for his death is the primary challenge for the neutrals as in most games things are pretty close without a neutral team, so something may or may not need to be done here.

2. Some didn't like Mengha's power. It adds a huge random element to the game, which tends to be bad. On the other hand, the element of surprise and general craziness is fun. I think the second day of this game was one of the more fun days I've modded (top definately goes to Kyro's meltdown in redux).

3. A suggestion for neutrals depowering light, is to have a gimmick Toth account (which only he has access to). He would then, using this account, PM a light member who then must post an exact copy of the PM in thread. In other words, Toth would be able to take over a light character and speak through them. We could limit this by number of posts, length of time, and so forth. In addition it could be necesary that the neutral team know the role of the role of the "medium."
Old 12-22-2006, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Malloreon 2: Signup and discussion thread

in
Old 12-22-2006, 11:27 PM

in, but I haven't read the books in > 10 years, so sadly, I have no book-related suggestions.

I'll take another look at the rules, and let you know if I come up with anything.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, in.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:28 PM

in
Old 12-22-2006, 11:29 PM

in obv