Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Return to Taipei

I returned from a business trip to Asia today, and had quite an experience on my return flight from Taipei. We started out in Hong Kong and things went smoothly to Taipei, about an hour and a half flight. When we arrived at our connecting flight, there was a sign that it was delayed by two hours due to "U.S. Customs and Immigration." Never did find out why; I'm assuming perhaps there were too many flights coming into LAX at the same time, so it was a Customs and Immigration traffic hold.

Anyway, we finally get on the plane and take off. Twenty minutes into the flight, there is an announcement asking for a doctor for a "medical emergency." We were upstairs on a 747, the same level of the cockpit. After a while, the pilot raced by us to go downstairs. When he returned, another pilot did the same. When he returned to the cockpit, the fasten seatbeat sign came back on, and the plane went on a steep, almost violent ascent; we all kind of looked at each other in amazement/fear/wonder. Then the pilot announced that, due to a medical emergency, we would be returning to Taipei. This was about an hour into the flight. I've been on a flight that, due to mechanical reasons, had to land right away and I know they usually have to burn off and/or dump some fuel, as the plane is too heavy to land with an almost full tank. And indeed that was the case. So the plane was speeding up to use up fuel and we could see it being dumped outside the window. We eventually went into a very steep descent and landed, the emergency equipment at the ready. The flight attendant told us "hypertension," but we eventually had a chance to speak to on of the pilots, who told us it looked to him like a stroke, the victim being unable to move on the entire right side. It took about an hour to refuel and the airline (EVA) moved the doctor who had come to the victim's aid into first class, where there were empty seats, a first class move I think. We took off and ended up in Los Angeles without further incident, but with the delay in Taipei and the return to Taipei, it took us 24 hours to get home.

Not sure of the fate of the victim, but I wonder what would have happened had the plane taken off on time. We would have been too far out to return to Taipei, I would think, but perhaps they would have landed in Japan or elsewhere. My wife lost her father on a 747 twenty-six years ago when he had a heart attack on board; that plane landed in Midway, too late, and probably unsafely, as the runway there was not built with a 747 in mind.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Return to Taipei

Ouch, unlucky [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].

Reminds me that there are lot of "what if" things that happen in life. I remember not to long ago, I was trailing behind an antique car on the freeway, then decided to switch lanes to an emptier one. 10 seconds later, antique car hits some sort of board or wooden thing on the freeway, and his back left tire gets unscrewed and his car starts skidding towards the side. I think the dude was okay, but I don't know what would've happened if I kept on that lane, prolly woulda hit him or something and got a heart attack in the process.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ouch, unlucky [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].

Reminds me that there are lot of "what if" things that happen in life. I remember not to long ago, I was trailing behind an antique car on the freeway, then decided to switch lanes to an emptier one. 10 seconds later, antique car hits some sort of board or wooden thing on the freeway, and his back left tire gets unscrewed and his car starts skidding towards the side. I think the dude was okay, but I don't know what would've happened if I kept on that lane, prolly woulda hit him or something and got a heart attack in the process.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmmm......"What if" things and Tapei?

It's sometime in 1969......

We're on our way from Cubi Point in the Phillipines to Tapei in our Navy C2A.

The C2A is a twin engine turboprop and a flying hydraulic leak.

All control surfaces on the aircraft are hydraulically actuated and electronically controlled.

The flight there was long but uneventful.....until the last 20 seconds or so.

We make a smooth landing and are on our roll-out when all of a sudden both engines die.

I go up to the cockpit, open the door, and what do I see?

The whole freaking overhead console had fallen out of its' mount and was sitting skewed halfway on the floor between the pilot & co-pilot!

Words truly cannot describe the looks on their faces, and all I could say was 'holy geezez effin keerist'.

....soiled drawers to follow.

Andy, in any case welcome back. Hope the trip was successful
& your team has made up a few games while you were gone if you hadn't already noticed.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:55 PM

From what I know they'll land in the nearest possible spot, Japan, Guam, or Alaska. Though I've heard if a passenger dies and can't be revived, they'll cover them with a blanket and continue on. It would be sobering to be in the next seat.

I've been on flights where they had to call the doctor, but don't remember ever doing the unscheduled landing.

This isn't a medical emergency, but I hope some will find it interesting. I think it was my second Asia trip. I went to visit a supplier in Kaoshiung, (southern Taiwan.) We finished early and I told them they could take me to the airport. Maybe I can catch an earlier flight.

"Oh, we take you to beautiful temple, largest one!"

They insist and I go along.

By the time they get me to the airport in Kaoshiung, my flight to Taipei, where I transfer planes to Hong Kong is canceled due to an approaching typhoon. The Kaoshiung airport is basically closed.

"But, you're still going to get me to Taipei, right?"

After nervous looks, they decide they'll drive me to Taipei. There's driving rain, but I make the airport. Mine is the last flight that will be leaving for Hong Kong. They tell me I'm too late to check in and I'll have to carry on all my bags.

It's just not going to happen. I press them and they relent, finally allowing me to check my bags.

Flying through the typhoon was like riding rough seas. Most passengers pushed away the dinner trays. Me? I was happy as a clam I'd made my flight, smiled all the way and enjoyed my dinner, thank you very much. (To give you an idea of the type of flight, there was applause for the pilots when we landed.)

Arriving at my hotel in Hong Kong, I realize something is wrong while checking in when my business associate says to the desk clerk, "Tell her that." He proceeds to advise me they don't have a room. Others didn't check out because of the typhoon.

"Then you'll be finding me a room at another hotel?"

"I'm sorry ma'am, but all the hotels are over capacity due to the weather."

"OK. You see that chair there in the lobby? I will be sitting there waiting until you to find me a room."

They were soon able to resolve it and checked me into the hotel. (I think they had existing guests consolidate rooms.)

I later read that 30 people died in Taiwan due to the flooding from the typhoon, which put my own small inconvenience in perspective.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:03 AM

I flew on EVA almost 10 years ago and was impressed with their service (and lovely "flight attendants"), and compared with what we now regard as service through most of the USA I bet they are still light-years ahead of us. Even if EVA's service hasn't improved ours in the US has so deteriorated that it makes most Asian Airlines seem like dreamliners.

And to add an additional anecdote, I was on a United flight out of Denver about 4 years ago that was called back about half way through the trip because of a mechanical “problem” (part). I think though that what really happened was that the airline knew that the problem, minor and no safety concern really, could not be fixed quickly at our destination (a small airport) so decided to just bring the plane back to Denver. This was just before Christmas. We landed and went back to the terminal building where they then lied to us for three hours about getting another plane and crew before canceling the flight.

By then of course everyone was in a pickle and we all ran down to the service center to try and get on alternate flights but everything was booked with no flights until after Christmas. They would not give out vouchers for food or accommodations. And there was only one person trying to man the service center. I got irate and started to berate the service representative and demand that the manger show his vile and lying face to the disgruntled crowd. Their were mothers with babies, older couples, and young college students, one visible sobbing in line, that couldn’t get home for Christmas and other examples of very distraught passengers; some simply gave up and left in complete disgust. The gist was that I made a deal with someone in line to drive home for Christmas. Eventually a few people booked some flights and made it home, most were stuck or out of luck. I have flown a lot but never encountered so insensitive, poor, and non-responsive service from an airline.

I wrote a scathing letter of complaint to United Corporate headquarters after this incident since they hand no really complaint department and receive, after about a month, a form letter with some lackluster wording and a voucher for $25 off my next United Flight. Just more insult to injury in my opinion. Anyway, I have not flown United since, except once, on a recent trip to China that was booked though a travel agency.

Piss on United Airlines. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-Zeno
Old 07-23-2007, 01:16 AM

I agree with you about United. And EVA. Service was still excellent.

Only other time I've been on a flight that didn't land first time at its intended destination was on an LAX to Dallas AA flight that had cabin pressurization problems. We landed in Phoenix, I went back to LA, but my luggage ended up in Houston. SOP.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:11 AM

Interesting story, I was in Taipei for a couple of stop overs this month. I can't get over how 3rd world their international airport is, worst than many of the domestic airports with in China which I think is funny considering how much Taiwanese look down their nose at mainlanders.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:03 PM

I hadn't been there in a while, the airport is certainly improved over what it had been five years ago.