Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 02:31 AM

Default another tough spot in another small pot against a 2+2er

15-30 live good game. gabe is directly on my right and josh w. is directly on his right. i dont play hands anymore i just fold and fold and fold and smile while everyone else has a nice time. im assuming gabe has noticed this. i should mention about gabe he's very smart and talks a great game but his actual play is significantly more passive and straight forward than all that. just like the style i have become fond of playing now that i think about it...hmmm...

anyway im in the bb w/ Q5o. two bad weak players limp, gabe completes in the sb and i check. 4 of us.

the flop is JT4 rainbow. everyone checks.

the turn is an offsuit 5. everyone checks.

the river pairs the T. gabe checks, i bet, others fold, gabe checkraises. what's my play?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:45 AM

Default Re: another tough spot in another small pot against a 2+2er

Hi Mike.

3 bet.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mike.
3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would check this river and call a bet if it's just one back to me. I dont see a worse hand calling this river bet.
As for the hand, it's a real goofy way to play a made hand on his part, and I guess I'd call seeing how it does seem like ur stabbing.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:00 AM

Fold. He thought you would stab at the turn. I'm not sure why you didn't.

-Michael
Old 02-28-2006, 03:09 AM

What's the point of having an image if we don't use the image against a player intelligent enough to see it?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:21 AM

"I dont see a worse hand calling this river bet."

i figured id get looked up by A high or a smaller pair very often. i tend to get paid off a lot even when i play really tight.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I dont see a worse hand calling this river bet."

i figured id get looked up by A high or a smaller pair very often. i tend to get paid off a lot even when i play really tight.

[/ QUOTE ]
Only 22 and 33 here. I didn't think of it til someone said it, but betting the turn seems best as almost every river card is bad.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:01 AM

On the river, I usually check and call in this situation as oppossed to betting. But if you think that nobody is likely to bluff and ace high will call you, then I like your river bet.

Once you bet and Gabe checkraises you, I honestly would never fold in this spot. Given the way you played this hand it is obvious you dont have a Jack or a Ten, and most people would probably surmise that you may not bet the river with 5x or 4x, so it honestly looks like youre trying to steal this pot. It is also obvious that Gabe does not have a Jack or a ten. I also believe if gabe had 4x or 5x or Ace high, He would probably just call the river. What this means is Gabe either has a hand that cannot beat Ace high or he has a slowplayed monster like 4's full or 5's full. I think a monster is not very likely becuz Gabe probably would not slow play these hands on a JTx board. I believe Gabe thinks youre on a total bluff, and since Gabe cannot beat a bluff he decided to checkraise you on the river. So this is why I would never fold in this situation, since its just too likely you have the best hand, and I would never reraise since If my read is right Gabe cant call, so I would always call.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:34 AM

Neither Gabe nor mike are dumb. The further up the level incline you go the more it converges to straightforward play. I think you might have a call here for sure, but I don't think there's any chance at all of Gabe having the hand you want him to have. I agree that Gabe could and probably should call a potential threebet very lightly, but he can't really have any of the hands where it makes sense. The only hands he could have where he puts more action in the pot need to fourbet, either because they warrant so much action or because he is so light he has no chance without bluffing. (In other words, he wouldn't have checkraised with a hand that can just call a threebet.)

-Michael
Old 02-28-2006, 05:34 AM

If Gabe has a better 5 than you I will never ever ever play with him again - that would be too scary.

-DeathDonkey