Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Bachelor Party Poker`

Sat night I'm having a bachelor party that is fairly mild on Sat(don't worry the good one is later [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]). We decided to go paintballing, BBQ, then some pokah. Here's the problem, the people coming to poker all have different kinds of income since they range from my uncles, and dad, to some of my younger cousins (~16-19). We wanted to play a tournament. Is there any way to make it so the buy in can be different? Like if some people only wanted in for $10 and others for $30? I'd like to keep the starting chips the same, so its "seems" equal. I was thinking a different % of the prize pool, but I'm not sure how to do this...

Also do you think non poker players can handle a bounty chip and show'em chip as per Befolder suggestion in this thread? Or do you think that we should just do a Bounty chip or nothing at all? Are rebuys a good idea or not, cause I'm afraid some of the non-poker players will get bored of playing after 30 min-1 hour.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post10923244 [ QUOTE ]
We have a regular rebuy/bounty game. On top of that, we have also started using a "Show Em" chip which I haven't seen used in this thread.

We don't charge for this and everyone starts with one.

Our rules for using it are as follows.

Any player still involved in a hand may pass their "Show Em" chip to another player still in the hand. This can only be done as you fold and before the next player acts after your fold.

At the end of the hand or when the player targeted leaves the hand, they must pass you their cards face down. Only players that pay the "show em" chip get to see the cards. Then the buyer mucks the cards for shuffling the next hand.

The player receiving the "show em" chip may now reuse that received chip as long as they are alive in the tournament. If they are busted, all show em chips go back to the bank.

This adds a small way to get information about players during the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-09-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Bachelor Party Poker`

Keep it simple, especially for those guys who don't play poker.

$10 buy-in is probably in everyone's price range, so go with that and use the following structure:

Give each player 2 or 3K chips to start (40 or 60 BB)

Blind Schedule - 20-30 minute rounds

25/50
50/100
100/200
200/400
400/800 (will absolutely finish it off)

Your time requirement limits the quality of the game you are hosting, since this is a fun $10 buy-in drinking party then the above schedule will work for you.

This structure will also even the playing field since the game will be a crap-shoot anyway. Play a couple if you have lots of time. Guys who don't want to play anymore won't play a 2nd game.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:05 AM

Dont know if this makes sense but ill try to explain it. You could have everyone who wants to buy in for $30 rather than $10, entered into a seperate prize structure for the extra 20. So the highest of the 30 buy in people, gets the first prize share of the extra 20.
Dont think ive explained this very well, but I think you might be able to work out what i mean.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:56 AM

ur family is broke
Old 08-10-2007, 02:56 AM

Hire black hookers to deal.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:28 PM

a poker competition i played in came up with this for different amounts of money buy in..
basically people all buy in for say $10 and that goes into the prizes... if say 5 out of 20 people wanted to buy in for $50 so u have $250 - $10 buy in so $200 side pot, they could compete for this, so whoever gets the furthest out of the $50 buy ins takes that excess $40 from everyone who bought in with $50 and u cud also have a second placer. if the $50 wins the tournament they take all the $10 buy in aswel....
hope this can be useful
Old 08-10-2007, 08:56 PM

I'd recommend running a straight cash game. Tournaments are too hard to organize, and you don't make as much money as you would from a cash game. The whole point of a stag is to make money. I run a stag company supplying dealers and tables, and on a good night you can rake in $500+ in just 2.5 hrs of playing if you have a good dealer.

IF you do decide to go with a buyin tournament, you'd have to charge 10 for 1000 chips .. 20 for 2500 chips and 30 for 4000 chips. IMO that will entice them to pay more, and the pot will be larger. That way you'll make more money!

Good luck!
Old 08-10-2007, 08:57 PM

BTW....I don't like the show'em chip or bounty chip idea. Just makes things more complex on a night you want to run smooth!

Good luck with your wedding! Congratulations!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]