Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 12:55 PM

Default A Public Admission

So, the truth of the matter is that in a year, from August to August, nearly 100K hands of play at limits ranging from .25/.50 to 3/6, full and more recently shorthanded I've lost 100 bucks at actual poker play. Not real good reward for the hours that I've spent. With a little rakeback from UB and a couple of bonuses from Stars I guess I'm up a bit. But still not enough to justify my time.

Man I miss the old days. I started playing in 2000 for play money and for cash on Planet Poker in 2001. (Shrink are you still grinding away?) I actually remember playing poker on planet on the night of 9/11 in total shock. I made some good cash for a hobby. Bonus whoring was sick. Interpoker was giving away like 200 dollars a month or something, Caribbean Sun every month, just hitting all the Crypto Skins each month was good coin. Then there was Party. Monthly reloads, and for a couple of years there the 2/4 full was a goldmine.I MISS YOU PARTY POKER.

My poker hobby paid for 6 trips to Vegas, one real nice Weber BBQ, lots of bills, sick dinners for me and my wife and lots of fun stuff that I would not have otherwise been able to do.

I'm glad this is not an I went busto thread. My roll is still an ample $2,500. My initial buy in back in the day was $75, so it's been a great ride. But it's seriously time to reevaluate. I'm a 40 year old gut with a good profession, 2 kids and several other hobbies that I enjoy so I'm not in a position to really put a whole lot more effort into my game. I rip up the live games up to 5/10 in Vegas and AC but the truth is that as far as the competition on the net, I'm not great. Perhaps not even good.

Another truth is that it would be really difficult to quit. You know, the inner degenerate is tough to let go of. My inclination is to seriously limit my play to 1 hour per night, and drop to .25/.50 and try to do bankroll building again. Frankly this sucks, the Poker boom, at least for me is over and it's sad to face that reality.

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: A Public Admission

I have to admit,its refreshing at least to see someone who is having a bad run being honest about it.I am willing to bet you will have a better chance of turning it around than some others,*cough(OnlinePro)cough*.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:07 PM

i am down for the year
Old 08-27-2007, 01:37 PM

are you playing limit?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:40 PM

yes, that's all limit HE
Old 08-27-2007, 01:53 PM

switch to NL...I was limit player, started dabbling in NL a year ago, but still playing limit, switched to NL full time 3 months ago and its absolutely the best poker decision I've ever made.

All the fish have moved to NL, cos that is what they see on the TV. A long term win rate of over 5 PTBB/100 is still not that difficult to achieve at NL 100.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:56 PM

thanks for the post.....i'm in the same boat. win win win, go to hawaii, pay a few bills. UIGEA hits, and i'm down since. never had a losing month prior to that. on the other hand it's forced me to focus on my game a bit more and i have improved over the last year. gl luck, i hope we both turn it around.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:10 PM

NL is a consideration I guess. I forgot that in February or so I had a phase of playing some low buy in NL tourneys and SNG's. I read the Harrington on HE series and actually won one of those 4/180 tournaments on Stars and that was really great.

On the other hand the thought of NL cash games has always intimidated me. I don't know, maybe I'll try it.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:19 PM

So in all those years of whoring you really never learned to beat the low level players? Kinda surprising considering you seem to have some self control.