Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Need card setup advice

Currently I use Copags in my game but it's finally gotten to the point where the faces are fading and I've had two decks get chipped by careless players.

I like the poker size cards over the bridge sized and I like the jumbo index. I've started using KEM Arrow and I like them a lot. My problem is that I like for each deck in play to have a different back so that it's easier to clean up at the end of the night. It seems Arrow only comes in red and blue and all of the other KEMs are bridge size.

I'll probably just end up getting replacement Copag decks but just wanted to check here if there might be a better alternative (i.e. Dal Negro, Modiano, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Need card setup advice

Here's a link to an older thread about cards that might be of some help:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rt=all&vc=1

People seem to like Modiano and Dal Negro. They are thicker and have a more paper-like feel than Kem and Copag.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've started using KEM Arrow and I like them a lot. My problem is that I like for each deck in play to have a different back so that it's easier to clean up at the end of the night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy another deck type and switch the cards- One Kem deck, one other deck in a setup.

I take it you don't want to go with Copags any more?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:56 PM

I'm a big fan of the four-pip cards (I think by Modiano), as it makes peeking at my hole cards easier, tho' the spades seem unnecessarily bulky. The As is pretty. The thicker card is nice, but a friend got the same cards with a different back, and his feel thin to me.

I think KEM and Copag have a lot of new backs for variety. I know they all have bridge size, not sure about jumbo face.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I take it you don't want to go with Copags any more?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind the Copags. My setups have lasted me a little over 2 years so I've certainly extracted full value. I do prefer the feel of KEM a little bit but the availability of back designs makes me lean toward sticking with Copag.

If there were poker sized KEM's out there with different back designs, I'd go that route in a heartbeat. If somebody were to really sell me on Dal Negro or Modiano, I might go that route too.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:04 PM

I found these.

Caragails is selling them on eBay. They are wide Kems, although they only have the regular index.

If you definitely want wide Kems that don't have the "arrow" design, this looks like your only choice.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My problem is that I like for each deck in play to have a different back so that it's easier to clean up at the end of the night.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is going to sound sarcastic, but I'm serios: Are you color blind, how is Red/Blue not different enough?

There are different COPAG backs available: http://www.copagcards.com/products.php?categoryid=4

Personally the Export Design (available in Poker/Jumbo) is just ugly.

I like the Master Design (available in Poker/Regular) a lot better.

Other than that, you'll just need to shop around for cards that you like. Check the reviews at HomePokerTourney.com . They have a full listing of all plastic cards available.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found these.

Caragails is selling them on eBay. They are wide Kems, although they only have the regular index.

If you definitely want wide Kems that don't have the "arrow" design, this looks like your only choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I usually get my cards from caragails so I know what they have. Some of my players complain about not being able to read regular index cards when we play tourneys. (I don't play with old nits but they sure act like it sometimes.)

I'm perfectly happy just to replace my Copags, but was secretly hoping that there was a wider variety of KEM's that I just wasn't finding.

Thanks for helping me look though.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:09 PM

You can try these new ones, you can get 6 decks all in different back colors.
http://www.classicplayingcards.com/
The site is a pain but if you play with it for awhile you'll eventually figure it out.

You could also try Copags in red, blue, green and burgundy, for 4 different colors.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can try these new ones, you can get 6 decks all in different back colors.
http://www.classicplayingcards.com/
The site is a pain but if you play with it for awhile you'll eventually figure it out.

You could also try Copags in red, blue, green and burgundy, for 4 different colors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll check this out. I'm already using 3 sets of Copags for the different backs. I've got red, blue, green, burgundy, export red and export blue.

I like them enough to keep using them. With the cracking and fading, I thought I'd just take a look at what else is out there right now.

Thanks for the link.