Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 10:31 AM

Default 10NL Q9s yields flush, but board pairs on the river

How should this be bet?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($6.95)
MP ($4.10)
CO ($10.65)
Button ($12.65)
SB ($20.75)
Hero ($11.45)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $0.4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.30, UTG folds.

Flop: ($0.95) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($0.95) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1.2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.85</font>, Button calls $1.65.

River: ($6.65) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $9.4 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $8.20 (All-In).

Final Pot: $23.05
Old 10-19-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Q9s yields flush, but board pairs on the river

Is this is 6max game or a FR that was short? I'd fold preflop, for starters. You're gonna be OOP with a mediocre drawing hand. Checking the flop is fine. After villain raises, I probably just shove. He might been slowplaying 66/44, but JJ is more likely. There's a small chance he has something like KhTh, but I'd say you're ahead of his range on the turn. As played, I'd call if I thought villain was total garbage and would do this with two low hearts, but otherwise I'd fold. I don't think this is a lower flush enough of the time to make calling profitable.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:54 AM

I fold preflop
I 3-bet the turn a lot bigger. Donīt be afraid of a fold of his too much.

As played, fold river w/o reads.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:59 AM

Fold preflop. Don't play Q9s out of position in a raised pot, especially with UTG still left to act preflop after you call.

If you think button is stealing with a weak hand, then attempt a resteal with Q9s by reraising to $1.5 then firing at the flop. But, don't just call.

If you do just call preflop, then fire at the flop trying to take it down if villain does not have an ace. I'd fire at the flop with a set. And I'd fire with a draw. I wouldn't c/r or c/c here with this draw OOP.

I think villain calls a $2-$3 bet on the river with many hands that he would check behind if checked to (TP or 2-pair, for example), and I don't think he will bluff at this board with a missed 1-card K-high flush, so value bet the river for at least $2. If you had bet $2 or so on the river only to have him push when the board pairs, you might have been willing to give up the Q-high flush if you seriously doubt that he'd do this with less than a full house.

As played on the river, you would need one heck of a read to fold the flush here. Since you have no read, and since you telegraphed weakness by checking on the end, then calling is about all you can do. This is where you suffer from bad cards + bad position. You should have folded (or reraised to resteal) preflop.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:36 PM

You know, on second thought, you should probably fold the river as played despite your check on the end because the board and the action up to the river make it very unlikely that he's bluffing when he goes all-in on the board-pairing river.

I still think that bet $2/fold-to-a-push would have been better on the river than check/fold.