Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Turning Stone Tourney

Turning Stone Sunday Night tourney, 40 out of 100 players left, 10 spot paid. The structure is fast, and the players were awful. I saw 4-5 players get blinded down to less than 2X BB before making a move. The blinds 400/800, ante 100. I am stealing a lot due to the high blinds and bad players. On the hand in question, I am in MP with KQ, folded to me, and I push my 7600 chips to the middle, but dont verbally declare all-in (I am sitting in seat 10, which is relevant). Seat 1 verbally states "call" and throws out 800 chips. The dealer then informs him that I am all-in, and the player says "Oh, I dont want to then" and tries to retrieve his 800 chips and muck his cards. The dealer says that his verbal call is binding, and makes the player put out 7600 chips. I dont want a call, as I suspect he is playing ace,rag. The dealer has none of it, and he turns our cards over and deals the flop. The other player has a,4 and it holds up. I obviously was not happy with this decision, and considered calling the floor, although I the dealer acted quite fast and I did not in time. I am not sure if it would have accomplished anything even if I did.

My issue is, was the ruling correct or should the opposing player have been allowed to fold his hand based on the way this played out?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Turning Stone Tourney

Yeah, verbal declarations are binding, I think, so once he says "call," he has to put whatever the bet amount was before him. Sorry.

Barry
Old 09-04-2007, 12:28 PM

he said call and has to call any bet in front of him.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:27 PM

classic noob donk mistake.
Unfortunate for you.

Are you a reg at Tstone?
I'll be there this weekend prolly Friday night to sometime on Sunday. PM me if you wanna meet up, i'll be there with my younger brother and a mutual friend
Old 09-04-2007, 02:35 PM

What's the buy-in for this type of tournament? I might be around sometime then and would perhaps like to check it out.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:57 PM

At the Hard Rock in Miami, if the person in the SB completes when there was a raise before him, they left the SB fold his hand and leave in the chips he put in. Thus, I think in your situation the dealer would give the opponent two options

1. Leave your 800 in the middle and fold your hand

2. Actually call the all in

darnold
Old 09-04-2007, 03:00 PM

Triantafylidis--
I am from Jersey and am not a TS regular. I went up so my 18 year old brother could play legally, as he is new to poker. The poker room was decent, but the chips were Taj-esque--there is something about nasty dirty chips that annoys me. I guess the Borgata has spoiled me.
I may be up again Thanksgiving time, but it will only be for the cash games--the tourney structure was insane.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:03 PM

Vanq--
It was $70 for me--the tourney was a $50+15, with another $5 dealer tip to get 500 more chips (starting stack 4K w/o tip). The structure is fast and the play was horrible. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:13 PM

For some reason I feel like if no one acted behind him he is allowed to take his chips back. Is that just in cash games? Cuz ive seen that ruling a ton at the Taj and at TS.