Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Roger Goodell - NFL Badass. Your thoughts?

I love Roger Goodell. Now, admittedly, I don't know that much about the NFL, having been a slave to baseball (and to a lesser extent, hockey) my whole life. That being said, the current commissioner of baseball is a piece of [censored], and Goodell seems to be an excellent commissioner of the NFL. From what I do know about football and the history of it, I was content with Tagliabue and how he really made football the #1 spectator sport in America over baseball (no hard feelings, really). His marketing genius really shows through, especially when you compare football's impact 15 years ago to football's impact today.

What are your thoughts on Goodell so far? I like the fact that he largely speaks his mind and isn't afraid to lay the law down, unlike Selig.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Roger Goodell - NFL Badass. Your thoughts?

He [censored] rocks, that is all.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:11 AM

I think it's hard to get a read on Goodell just yet. He's handed down some serious and well-deserved punishments, but his hand was pretty much forced by precedent and some very bad acts by repeat offenders. We'll see what he's made of when there's potential labor trouble, or when there are a rash of steroid accusations. Or in five years, when the league is doing better/worse financially.

Completely agree about Selig. He's been an embarassment over the past few years, and especially this season in his handling of the Bonds HR chase.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:18 AM

I want to see how he deals with Michael Vick before making any judgments.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to see how he deals with Michael Vick before making any judgments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like what I see so far - he didn't jump the gun and punish him, and he let the owners get a shot at punishing him. When the owners obviously stalled in doing so, Goodell stepped in. Personally I'm not happy with how the Falcons' owners handled it; they basically waited for Goodell to force their hands so the owners could wash their hands of it.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:26 AM

No love for David Stern? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2007, 01:27 AM

David Stern is the worst interview candidate I have seen in my life. I don't know [censored] about the NBA, so I withhold judgement for the most part with the exception of the dress code, which I think is total crap.

EDIT: His suspensions in the 2007 playoffs between the Suns and the Spurs was also total [censored]. I know you agree with that. :P
Old 08-09-2007, 01:28 AM

Varlos put it very well. From what I've seen Goodell has done a good job. I love a Commish that basically doesn't give a [censored]. He has been very tough with the players and deservidly so. There have been quite a few incidents and it is giving the NFL a bad rep. All athletes need to realize they are getting paid a large sum of money to play a sport and they are not invincible.

I thought Tagliabue was good and for Goodell to be respected he needs to do what he has been doing. Regardless of how popular you are or what impact a suspension will do to the NFL, you need to take action and make examples out of people. I'm a Jets fan and Justin Miller was involved in an altercation at a club where he swung at someone was immediately sent to meet with Goodell. No matter how big or small a case may be, Goodell needs to talk to these players to set them straight.

I read an article where someone said they should have a curfew, but that's just absurd. They should be able to live their lives, but realize they aren't above the law.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: His suspensions in the 2007 playoffs between the Suns and the Spurs was also total [censored]. I know you agree with that. :P

[/ QUOTE ]
This was bs and totally changed the series.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:32 AM

I like the fact that Goodell cares about the league as a whole, which Selig obviously does not (he's basically a owners' pet dog - see also: Owners' Collusion scandal).

That being said, the men do need to have their own lives. They should be able to break the law and do whatever they want to do, but realize that their actions will not only have legal consequences, but harsh consequences from within.

When you get called into the office by Goodell, I imagine the conversation is one similar to the verbal beatings my father gave me as a kid when I [censored] up. I find that mental image humorous.