Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 10:33 AM

Default What would be your play? Both Live games

Situation - 1
Blinds - 400/800
Hero - 5000 (BB), Villain - 16000 (UTG)
Hero - 7s8s
Villain - (I know the hole cards and will tell you after getting couple of responses)
4 Players(including the hero and Villain) limp in
Flop - 4sKs9H
All check and Villain bets 4K.
What is your action? - call/fold?

Situation - 2
Big MTT - 1st pays out 12K
280 players - 210 remaining

Blinds 200 - 400
Hero - 12800, Villain - 19000

Hero - 2s2d

Villain - 2c7c

Flop - 2h3c6c

Villain - bets 3K

Hero - shoves

Turn - Ac

River - 3d

In this situation - I have given you the complete hand and as you all know I won,

But I want to know what you guys think of the play.

What would you do if you were in the Villain's position and if you were in Hero's position?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Re: What would be your play? Both Live games

Hand 1) Push or fold preflop, you have 6BB's and CANNOT afford to limp in.

Hand 2) What is the preflop action? Anytime you can get a set in against bottom pair is good... I'm not sure why you want a critique on villians' play.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:57 AM

You are right. But as I was in BB and anyway I have my blinds in, I thought I will see the flop.

On situation -2 the reason I ask a critique on Villains play is - I would hv either folded pf the 2,7 or checked, but would not lead out a big bet on a draw.

Even if I hit the flush, I feel any card over 7c kills me - hence wanted to know what others will do in these situations.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are right. But as I was in BB and anyway I have my blinds in, I thought I will see the flop.

On situation -2 the reason I ask a critique on Villains play is - I would hv either folded pf the 2,7 or checked, but would not lead out a big bet on a draw.

Even if I hit the flush, I feel any card over 7c kills me - hence wanted to know what others will do in these situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad on Hand 1. Checking is fine here! I would open push this flop though. You need chips and this is a decent flop for you. You have small chance of taking the pot with a push, and you most likely have 9 outs to catch up if you get called.

Hand 2: Villian was probably just being stupid. His play isn't very smart.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:08 AM

Hand 1 - Shoving preflop is good but a check in the BB is also fine. As played you should open shove the flop. Why would you check when you only have a pot sized bet left?

Hand 2 is funny. You include no reads or preflop action and you ask us if it was correct to get the money in with the the third nuts. The shove might not have been the way to maximize value, it looks like you were trying to protect against a draw rather than get max value out of ytour hand.

For what its worth the villain's flop shove is ok but he should have gone for a check-raise all in or he should have bet small and tried to 3 bet all in. Of course without knowing the preflop action or the size of the pot or the position of the players in the pot there is no way to really evaluate the play.

Please read the FAQ sticky atop the page to learn how hands are supposed to be posted. Also try to read the threads in the anthology sticky as they have a wealth of knowledge contained within them.