Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 12:23 PM

Default buying athletic socks

i've been having problems with blisters on my feet this year and i'm either going to buy a bunch of cotton socks that fit better or a bunch of fancier non-cotton socks. i'm currently wearing cotton socks, some of which are a little too big and seem to causing much of the problem.

i play ultimate frisbee 2-3 times / week in old cleats. i guess the cleats could be the problem too.

so.... cotton or not cotton?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: buying athletic socks

Try this to see if it helps.

Before you put your cleats on, take your socks off and put some vaseline on your foot, especially where you are having the trouble. Put socks and cleats on.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:32 PM

The size of the sock certainly plays here; I'd imagine that better fit is more important than the material. I'd be a bit surprised if the cleats were that consistent as sources of blisters. Mine tend to give me blisters when I haven't worn them for a while, but if I actually play semi-regularly it eases up.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:33 PM

I also play ultimate a few times a week and have had the same problem in the past. I would frequently get blisters along the insides of my heels. I finally got thicker socks and different cleats and the blisters gradually went away, although they still pop up every so often. Where do you play by the way?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also play ultimate a few times a week and have had the same problem in the past. I would frequently get blisters along the insides of my heels. I finally got thicker socks and different cleats and the blisters gradually went away, although they still pop up every so often. Where do you play by the way?

[/ QUOTE ]

i play in boston, all pretty casual, summer league and pickup games.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:41 PM

Cool I play in New Jersey. Summer league ended two weeks ago for me but i'm pumped for the start of the school season soon.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:50 PM

FYI, it's probably your shoes, not your socks that give you your blisters. I've never owned a pair of cleats that didn't give me blisters, and I've been a 3-sport athlete most of my life.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:53 PM

god I miss ultimate frisbee.

It's weird everyone is saying it's the shoes, because for me it was always new cleats that gave me wicked blisters. Once they were broken in I was fine. I usually got new cleats each soccer season, but I decided to wear the same ones from junior year my senior year just because they still fit fine. I never had a problem with those.

Anyway, a trick I used to use when blisters were a problem was doubling up on socks. In soccer, this just meant a normal pear of cotton athletic socks on first, and then the long socks that go over the shin pads on top of those. Those are generally very thin so it wasn't uncomfortable. Athletic socks are thin enough that it should be fine.

Also, band aids.

And to answer your question, I'm a cotton fan. I have a couple pairs of UnderArmor athletic socks which are some sort of blend. I like my cotton GoldToe socks much, much better.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:06 PM

wear two pairs of socks on each foot, problem solved.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:23 PM

ok ok ok... dont listen to anyone else but me. I run a huge sports store in the north east. You dont get blisters after the cleat has been broken in. You just need special socks cotten or not with aloe in them Now i've only seen them in womans... but the socks dont give you blister. Just dont get pink.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search...process=default

also maybe a new pair of cleats could help.... where ya from again??