Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 05:56 PM

Default PL25 J High Flush against Aces

I am new to Omaha so could appreciate some pointers on this one. The way PF and flop were bet I felt very much like I was up against aces. I thought I was correct to carry on with the hand on the flop and turn, but what should I do here on the river? Am I ahead often enough to call in this spot? No reads on villan

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $1.6</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($3.3, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $2.5</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($8.3, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $5.5</font>, Hero calls.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($19.3, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $15</font>, Hero ?

<font color="white"> </font> <font color="white"> </font>
Old 06-08-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: PL25 J High Flush against Aces

hmmm river is really tough, i think you are up against the nut flush here a lot, though if he has aces he could try to push you off with the bare ace. i would definitely raise the flop here and try to get the money in quickly. at this level you might occasionally get someone to fold aces+nfd here. against bar aces you are a big favourite on the flop anyway.
as played i think i fold river on this level.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:36 PM

Please tell us stack sizes before the hand. This is a hand i would fold preflop, since you did not fold it preflop, Why not repop flop? If you are against Bare aces you have 16 outs. The problem with low flush draws is you never know if your flush is good. Given turn and river bets, you are up against higher flush 90% of the time. You are playing low-stakes PLO cash, this drives up the percentage of times you face nut flush.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:37 PM

You called the whole way behind, why worry now?

Confucious say, "Never draw to hand that will lead to a crying call if you hit".
Old 06-08-2007, 08:30 PM

I'm with autobet, just fold the river.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:39 PM

Stack sizes?

Wow, I raise this flop bet with your huge draw, esp if you put him on AAxx.

If he called the reraise on the flop and check the turn I would put out another healthy bet.

As played tho on the river, its a fold I think. Not sure how bad the players are this limit but the flush hits and you played it exactly like you had a flush draw. And villian doesnt slowdown or even try a blocking bet (like he would with a semi weak flush). You're likely up against a pair that turned into a high flush and since you have the JT of diamonds its more of a fold than a call imo.

Gotta put in a raise somewhere down the line here.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:45 PM

Stack sizes: Me($48.15), Villan($31.20)

As I said, I'm an Omaha noob so in many cases I don't have a very good appreciation for what's going on. As a result I've generally just been trying to keep things small and then potting when I make the nuts. (Not optimal I know) I did end up calling and sure enough he had A9d, but a lesson learnt I suppose.

Can I also just ask to the person who said fold this preflop why? I didn't post stack sizes so maybe that changes something in which case fair enough, but if I do but someone on AAxx should I really be folding this in position?
Old 06-08-2007, 09:07 PM

Sorry, I misread your hand...this is a very marginal hand, you should certainly be folding these as a beginner preflop

Raise the flop, you have a wrap with a flush draw.

On the river your opp is betting only 3/4 of the pot trying to get you to call. Most players would bet less if they were making a blocking bet and planning on folding to a raise.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:40 PM

The goal of omaha poker hand selection is to have a hand where cards work well together. 77 as a pair is weak in omaha, especially in lower levels because you can lose in set over set situations more than rarely. joined with jt is bad because jt77 is a two gapper hand, this means you make nut straight fewer ways than jt97 does.

The reason why we wanted you to post stack sizes is to see if you could have gotten this thing allin before the river to avoid the river flush decision. In complete honesty, I'm not sure villian will ever fold aces at this level. If you do think its possible for villian to fold aces before the river, you can repot the flop and shove any non Ace turn. You have 13 straight outs excluding diamonds. Other wise calling down and folding river is the best option.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:39 AM

I think this is tougher than everyone else seems to. It really looks like he has AA plus nut flush draw once he fires again on the turn.