Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 09:46 AM

Default NL10, AK vs shortie min raise preflop

Villain 44/7/inf over 45 hands

Donkish? Logic was that villain is short and likely betting flop. I'm at least calling the donk min raise and figured there must be some fold equity (albeit low). Finally since a call is a given pot has 1.70 in that scenario so probably not folding to a villain PSB on flop anyway. Is this terrible?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $3.45
BB: $2.10
UTG: $3.90
UTG+1: $3.10
MP1: $14.55
MP2: $2.00
Hero (MP3): $9.20
CO: $2.65
BTN: $6.95

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9 Players)
2 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.45</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $0.80</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $9.20</font>, SB calls all-in for $2.65
Uncalled bet of $5.75 returned to Hero
Uncalled bet of $0.00 returned to SB

Flop: ($7.10) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Turn: ($7.10) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

River: ($7.10) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Pot Size: $7.10 ($0.70 Rake)
Old 08-09-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Re: NL10, AK vs shortie min raise preflop

looks fine
Old 08-09-2007, 09:59 AM

The minraise means he wants to go for stacks. He wouldn't get much respect from me until he proved he wasn't terrible, and playing 20 of his first 45 hands at the tables don't help. To me this was played perfectly. NH.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:38 AM

Thanks. Was doubting myself after three players crucified me for it in the chat box. "AK is not AA", "This is not tournament poker", blah, blah. Not sure why I was letting $2 stack NL10 players place doubt in my mind but that's why I made a b-line for this forum. Thanks again gents.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:58 AM

CJK,

I have been playing at FT almost exclusively the last 3 months. Since the end of June, NL10 has been loaded with short stackers. Meaning 5 or 6 sitting at a 9 player table. Its annoying as they play pretty much a shove or fold game. 1st, don't let them make you think they know a whole lot about poker. People at NL10 generally don't know as much as they think. I had to laugh at the comment they made about tournament poker when by keeping a stack that short is exactly like tournament poker. AK only fears greatly two hands preflop: AA &amp; KK. Its a coin flip with everything else.

2nd, Be more picky about your table selection. Right now I am really looking for tables with less than three stacks less than 30bbs. Look for tables with mostly 70bb stacks or better. They are out there, but you have to look and you may have to get on waiting lists in order to get on them.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:09 AM

Hmm... he sure may be loose but when players perk up and 3-bet they still usually have a strong hand(READ QQ+/AK). I don't think you get any better hands to fold and you don't have much dead money in the pot. Having said that, against a player who is likely to go broke with QQ I think you can make a call here and commit when you hit a good TP hand.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the advice Capt.

Exactly, I broke my golden rule an chatted back pointing out that against a deep stack the above hand obviously plays differently but based on their comments it's almost as if they don't even realize that they're short! Lol.

Do you use any tools for table selection or just browsing the lobby? I have head about a few but don't know what they really offer.

Did something change at FT that has attracted these guys? It is soooo annoying to be in the blinds have one push all in from the button...do they realize in the long run how bad of a play that is at a cash game?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm... he sure may be loose but when players perk up and 3-bet they still usually have a strong hand(READ QQ+/AK). I don't think you get any better hands to fold and you don't have much dead money in the pot. Having said that, against a player who is likely to go broke with QQ I think you can make a call here and commit when you hit a good TP hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

So call pre (vs fold or raise) and fold to a flop bet? Isn't AK, AQ and all small pairs also in his range? I know it's a 3 bet but I wonder if a super strong hand flat calls HU out of position?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So call pre (vs fold or raise) and fold to a flop bet? Isn't AK, AQ and all small pairs also in his range? I know it's a 3 bet but I wonder if a super strong hand flat calls HU out of position?

[/ QUOTE ]

I work under the assumption that a 3-bet is a strong hand from a non aggressive opponent. Now, it is a small sample size so it certainly is likely that he has other hands. I am really looking at his PFR and seeing that it isn't really that high so I would tend to think his 3-bet is for real. If that is the case I don't see a point in pushing but I do think since we have position and he will go broke with QQ that you can make the call.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Exactly, I broke my golden rule an chatted back pointing out that against a deep stack the above hand obviously plays differently but based on their comments it's almost as if they don't even realize that they're short! Lol.

Do you use any tools for table selection or just browsing the lobby? I have head about a few but don't know what they really offer.

Did something change at FT that has attracted these guys? It is soooo annoying to be in the blinds have one push all in from the button...do they realize in the long run how bad of a play that is at a cash game?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't tap the glass, you'll scare the fish! Some people say not to do it because you will "educate" the fishes and donks. This isn't true. What you'll end up doing is letting them know you're a thinking/solid player. So next time they hit their gutshot on the river after you pot the turn with a set, just say, "nice hand" and let them think they made a good play. Nextime, you'll either stack them or get most of their chips.

As far as pushing all-in from the button...it's a short-stack philosophy and usually begs for a call because they have AA-QQ, AK. Don't fall for it unless you have AA-KK and it won't significantly affect your stack if you lose.

AC