Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 10:44 AM

Default Holding on to the big stack

I think this is my first post in this section... i mostly play SNGs and that's where i post. I think that is also part of my problem. With SNGs i usually start tight, and quickly start to loosen up as i get more chips, and more people are knocked out. Last night i finally realized why i suck at cash games...and its because i have a tendency to do the same thing, and have a hard time controlling it. I usually build up my stack nicely early on in the session, but once i have a lot of chips infront of me, i have a hard time letting go of suited connectors and weak aces, or having a Gus Hansen moment and raise in early position with rags, and then i end up losing all my profit, and usually my original buy-in as well. What kind of strategies or techniques do you guys use to keep you playing the same winning style regardless of how many chips you have. I heard of something called tiltblocker, which is a little gray block that you can click and drag to cover up your chip count, but i'd like to know how many chips i have, and i also have this same problem playing live where i cant put a gray square over my chips to cover them. any suggestions? thank you!
Old 04-13-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Holding on to the big stack

Play more tables.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:21 PM

Some people need a defined beginning and end to their play. They need a finish line. Maybe SNG's and MTT's are just more suited to your personality type?

Play ring as a hobby and play short sessions so you don't 'donk off' your money once you've made it.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With SNGs i usually start tight, and quickly start to loosen up as i get more chips, and more people are knocked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your SnG strategy is a good one - but it sounds like you may have stumbled into the correct strategy here for all the wrong reasons.

in a SnG you start tight because the blnds are small and are an insignificant portion of your stack. You loosen up later and play much more aggressive because the blinds increase - by the time your stack has effectively shrunk to 10BB you ought to be so agressive that every hand you play is push or fold.

You shouldn't play more aggressively in any form of poker I think simply because you have a bigger stack.

In a cash game the blinds are static - they never increase so you don't ever alter your playing style because at no point should your stack = 10BB or less...
Old 04-13-2006, 02:32 PM

I love people who loosen up once they get a big stack.

You can open up your starting hands a little vs other big stacks, but dont start "bullying". With no blind increases, people can afford to wait you out.
Basically, in a cash game no one will fear you because you have chips. You either have me covered or you don't.