Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Is pushing 3 barrels the key to win money?

I really wonder and should try it. Like I often notice that if I have an overpair and I raise flop and get called, bet turn and get called, finally bet river and most fold. I am sure sometimes they are on a draw but sometimes fold their top or middle pair.

I wonder if the key in poker often is the will to push even AK high all the way without a fear as long as not reraised. I often hear that the good players are not afraid to get called with AK high as long as they make money by making the opponents fold in the long run.

I also think that I am almost always convinced that someone has an overpair if he keeps pushing all the streets long.

SO is agression the key to win? Because the most are scared to call too much with just one pair?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Is pushing 3 barrels the key to win money?

You have to be very selective when trying this move . You can take any cards (ie,7-2) and play it like pocket aces and it may be profitable given that instant and the current flow of the game . The most challenging part of it is to know when to slow down .
Old 09-24-2007, 12:15 PM

What I meant is, that I always notice that many players which even includes me at times die under the pressure of really aggressive players who never check.

it's like, "just make them fold their weak top pair"
Old 09-24-2007, 02:02 PM

Be careful using this move. It can cost you a lot of chips when it goes wrong and people will catch on if you do this often. You should have a good read on your opponent before you try this.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:40 PM

Yes, people will often call the first two raises and fold to the last, but you have to play that person's tendency pretty well.

When it backfires, it costs you a good bit as well, both in cash and table image to make this work.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:33 PM

And sometimes your opponent is calling not because he is weak but because he is so strong that he is rope-a-doping you. In essence, you just stacked yourself. Blind aggression is idiotic. But one well placed bluff against the right opponent in the right situation can net you a tidy profit. Figuring out which is which is the tricky part.

AK is the hand that many choose against a relatively safe board because in there is a semi-bluff element to the move. Even after a turn bluff gets called you can still catch and possibly end up with top pair.

Without a real solid read, though, I think a third barrel is often spew.