Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 05:15 PM

Default cashing checks at the bank

I'm not very well aversed in the poker legislation, mostly since thinking about it infuriates me, so I'm hoping someone will help me out.

so since neteller bailed on us, Ive been forced to request and then deposit checks from wpex (and pay extra dough to have them Fed ex'd)

My last 3 checks over the last 3 weeks have all been from different companies (first chexx inc, then some bank in Canada and I forget the last one) and while they look legit certainly (water marks ect) could be construed as a bit shady in appearance perhaps.

The other day I go to deposit one and the teller asks " is this a work check". I pretended not to hear her for a sec as Im filling out the deposit slip cuz I dont know how to respond. So I say "sorry what was that" shes repeats it and I say "yeah"

Basically my question is: would it matter if i told her? Are these checks shady? It's not illegal to withdraw from online gambling sites or participate in online gambling , right?right???
Old 03-04-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: cashing checks at the bank

i just got $5k check from absolute all in german. wtf???? hope it works (crosses fingers)
Old 03-04-2007, 05:49 PM

Who cares what the bank thinks?

If they ask and you feel the need to explain yourself say: you ever hear of paypal and ebay? its like that only a different company?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:20 PM

is it technically illegal to be getting money from online gambling sites was my basic question, are the banks supposed to red flag those types of checks or does it not matter to the banks or the gov't?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:31 PM

"None of your [censored] business"

"It's a legitimate check"

"Yes"

"Why do you ask?"

...are all legit answers. If you don't want to tell them, don't tell them. Deposit using ATM's in the future.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:35 PM

I got a check from WPEX a while back. It was drawn on a midwestern USA bank, was purple and green and blue, and had white flowers all over it. The teller gave it 2 and then 3 looks, and even held it up to the light, but she did not say anything about it. I know it is impossible, but I swear the signature looked like it said Bill Frist! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2007, 08:02 PM

If you on-line-pros would just bathe, shave and change out of your bathrobes before venturing out into the real world you would be surprised at the difference.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:38 PM

I'm just guessing here, but if you say it's a work check, they may make some or all of the check available immediately. If you say no, they will put the 5+ day hold on it until it clears.

I don't think they care for any other reason.

-Tom
Old 03-04-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i just got $5k check from absolute all in german. wtf???? hope it works (crosses fingers)

[/ QUOTE ]

Unghhh! No offense, but I hope I never get one of those kind! I have no idea what any of my banks would do with a check like that! I am sure they would put a serious hold on it, at the very least! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2007, 11:46 PM

The teller is probably asking to determine whether to put a hold on it or not. Payroll checks generally are not held as a courtesy to customers.