Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Stars $55 fo, KK, WTF am i doing??

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t2670)
UTG+1 (t2150)
MP1 (t2585)
MP2 (t7895)
MP3 (t6430)
CO (t9010)
Button (t2805)
SB (t4328)
Hero (t6367)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t450</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1400</font>, CO calls t950.

Flop: (t2875) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t900</font>, Hero calls t900.

Turn: (t4675) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t1650</font>, Hero ?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Stars $55 fo, KK, WTF am i doing??

I think you should be leading out here, you could easily have AK as far as villain knows. I think checking is asking for a tough hand, just lead and if you get action you slow down and reevaluate.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should be leading out here, you could easily have AK as far as villain knows. I think checking is asking for a tough hand, just lead and if you get action you slow down and reevaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, you cant check call and just hope he checks behind turn, bc when he doesnt check behind you prob have to fold
Old 06-05-2007, 02:27 AM

As played should he fold to that tiny turn bet, which followed a tiny flop bet.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:30 AM

Check calling that flop = no good. U re-raised before the flop, and checked the flop. That shows the Ace scared you imho. Always lead here to feel where you are at. The rest is read and opponent history.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:07 AM

if you do raise here that could look like a set of aces easily.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:28 AM

If you are leading flop here it should be for one of two reasons.

1) You think you can get paid off by a worse hand.
2) You think that the info you gain by leading flop which in turn will allow me to save money when i'm beat, more than compensates for the cost of leading flop.

1) is not usually true. Those who like leading flop, convince me 2) is true.

[ QUOTE ]
if you do raise here that could look like a set of aces easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that relevant? I only have 2400 behind, if I c/r, it's not ever w/ the intention of folding out Ax.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:49 AM

Any reads? Can we give villain any kind of a range?

EDIT: If it's an average villain then he will bet small with underpairs and monsters on both the flop and the turn but will check the river with an underpair and isn't folding an A, probably AQ+ maybe AJ. I generally check here if I feel villain would respect a reraise in which I could put him on 99+, AQ+. I like checking here since this is the classic WA/WB situation. There aren't any worse hands that will call when you bet and there are plenty of better hands that will call. There are also some hands that you beat if bet into QQ, JJ.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:51 AM

Reads would be nice here, but I think you have to lead the flop. No you are not leading to get paid off by worse hands as that like never happens here I think. I just think you get into a really bad spot by not betting here. I like leading and then shutting down if called. I doubt you get a call from QQ-99 when you reraise and then bet an A high flop. So you probably only get called if he has you beat with an ace which is fine I think. The way you suggest playing it I mean you have no clue in hell where you are and theres literally no way to find out. I dont think villains gonna be worried about you having an ace here considering you check call the flop then check the turn. I think you just have to lead here. If you were in position I could see a check behind on the flop but I hate checking here.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:24 AM

I don't think there's any doubt you have to lead out here.If you get called you're probably done with the hand,as it is highly unlikely he'd call you with a hand you beat.I'd say this is a pretty standard cbet,you raised pre and are now representing the A. I feel that if you give up on a big pair everytime the A flops,you'll loose a lot of pots.

I saw a fun hand about a year ago at Ceasars(I think) that kinda shows why you at least have to try a bet here. Some fish in MP raised,button called,flop came A xx,middlecards like 10-8 I guess,obv little fuzzy on details a year later,OR checks,button bets,OR folds KK face up with a huge speech about how hi never wins with his xxxx kings,blahblah. Needless to say,button shows 2/4. So it was a little funny....