Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Code to read and write FTP notes

I wrote some utilities to export the notes data from the FTP Notes file, and to reimport that data based on the information from this post:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...79#Post9121879

It's written in Javascript and seems to work fine on both Mac OS X and Windows. There's no nice user interface or anything. they are just command line tools to export and import them.

Once exported to a text file you could combine notes from multiple machines if, like me, you run FTP on your laptop and desktop, etc but I've not yet added code to make this easy (merging duplicates, etc). I've included the source though so you can do that yourself if you can't wait for me.

A major downside of the FTP note format is it doesn't include the username of the person whom the note is for. This isn't really a problem if you are just merging notes files but if you want to automatically generate notes from your own data (PokerTracker maybe) then you need to have the mapping of the username to their player id.

I work around this be having all my own notes include the username of the person the note is for surrounded by < and >. So for example:

<fooplayer> is a bad player. Limps too much. Donates me money.

The software I've included here looks for this <...> and extracts the name in the exported file. There is also a utility to list the names and id's in your notes file that are marked in this manner. And all those that aren't.

I can't think of another way of mapping players names to id's. Any other ideas?

Anyway, code here:

http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/ftpnotes.zip

Back up your existing notes file. Be aware that this could destroy your notes file if you don't know what you are doing . Use it at your own risk. I didn't work out the file format. I got it from the post mentioned above. I've no idea how accurate that is but it seems to work. Comments welcome.