Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Stadium etiquette

In the past year I have been told by a fan in front or behind me twice to change what I was doing at a sporting event.

1. A friend and I were standing and cheering after we had come back and tied the game with about 2 minutes left, at home, versus the Suns. When play resumed, like many others, we remained standing and cheering and were asked by the people behind us to sit down. We were in about the 15th row.

2. Last night at a baseball game I was talking to my father one seat away and the man in front of me turned around and asked me to 'speak quieter' as I was disturbing him. We were in the 10th row.

Well, I am disturbed by this. Why are people doing to professional sporting events to sit quietly, in a quiet stadium, and passively observe what is going on around them. I cannot imagine this happening anywhere outside of the United States (I went to a Chealsa soccer game and we stood the entire time). What is with these people? Who is right- should I have sat down (we did) or lowered my speaking voice (I did not). I wasn't yelling, drunk, etc in either of this instances.

WHY DO YOU GO TO A GAME TO SIT AND BE QUIET? YOU'RE THE REASON THAT PROFESSIONAL SPORTING EVENTS HERE ARE NOT FUN. IF YOU DONT WANT TO ENJOY YOURSELF, STAY HOME AND WATCH IT ON TV.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Stadium etiquette

[ QUOTE ]
WHY DO YOU GO TO A GAME TO SIT AND BE QUIET? YOU'RE THE REASON THAT PROFESSIONAL SPORTING EVENTS HERE ARE NOT FUN. IF YOU DONT WANT TO ENJOY YOURSELF, STAY HOME AND WATCH IT ON TV.

[/ QUOTE ]
Type quieter.

EDIT:

[ QUOTE ]
A friend and I were standing and cheering after we had come back and tied the game with about 2 minutes left, at home, versus the Suns.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ban.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:16 PM

delta,

You need to include where you are watching these games. Both counts sound ridiculous, especially the second one. Actually, the first sucks balls too. When your team rallies everyone stands up and cheers.

Maybe you were at a WNBA game?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
delta,

You need to include where you are watching these games. Both counts sound ridiculous, especially the second one. Actually, the first sucks balls too. When your team rallies everyone stands up and cheers.

Maybe you were at a WNBA game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Minnesota, so Wolves v Suns and Twins v Tigers (last night).

I just dont understand why people go to the games if they don't want to be exposed to people having a good time and getting excited (especially since it seems like they aren't interested in either themselves)
Old 07-18-2007, 02:20 PM

this is my number 1 pet peeve about going to any live sporting event... especially football games at giants stadium but i even got the 'down in front' at game 5 of the world series which annoyed me to no end....

if you're going to complain about ppl supporting their team and standing and making non-offensive noise in front of you... you should excercise your right to buy the tickets in front of them or watch it at home...
Old 07-18-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT:

[ QUOTE ]
A friend and I were standing and cheering after we had come back and tied the game with about 2 minutes left, at home, versus the Suns.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ban.

[/ QUOTE ]

While KG did go for a career high, the Wolves managed to lose.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:21 PM

I had a similar thing happen at a Braves game recently. With 2 outs in the ninth the Braves trailing by a few runs, we were naturally standing and cheering hoping for the batter to keep the game alive. A couple of guys about 4 rows behind us (in visitor's team garb) yelled at us to sit down. WTF? We just laughed at them.

I agree with you 100% If people don't want to stand up and cheer, etc, they can go home and watch it on TV.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:22 PM

Unless the people behind you were really old or handicapped or something, both sound ridiculous. In situation 1 I might have asked them to stand up and be good fans.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:25 PM

Oh man I remember that game. It was siccckkk. Weird, I thought the 'Sota fans were good. I expected this to be like ATL, NO, Washington, etc. Guess I was wrong.

There are times to stand and there are times to sit. Sometimes even when YOU want to sit (it happens), you've just got to suck it up and stand up or shut up.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:46 PM

This reminds me of my parents getting annoyed when they went to a Coldplay concert and got p.o.'d after people in front of them, in the upper deck, got up and stood the entire concert, forcing them to stand.

Personally, if it obstructs my viewing when I don't think it's necessary or really appropriate to stand, then I'll get annoyed. Otherwise, in general, if fans around me are standing, I'll most likely be standing too. This only applies to baseball, football, and maybe basketball, though. Hockey, nobody ever stands unless a goal is scored or it's a shootout.