Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2006, 02:44 PM

Default Complete Silence

Anyone else need complete silence to sit down read/comprehend a poker book? I often find that if something else is going on the room (conversation, tv, music, etc) I just can't focus enough to really absorb what I am reading.

I am worried this is inability to tune out outside interference is going to carry over to my B&M experience. Any ideas?
Old 02-04-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Complete Silence

of course silence is best, but if you have that much trouble, it's reasonable to assume you have attention deficit issues that would affect anything that requires concentration.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:49 PM

Do you really mean complete silence? Like you can't have an air conditioner on while reading? Or do you just mean other words or conversation?

I can't really read anything dense while other words are being spoken around me, be they live conversation or song lyrics. But its the words that are distracting, not the noise.

And i've never seen this as affecting my ability to play live poker. I can play internet poker just fine while listening to music.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
of course silence is best, but if you have that much trouble, it's reasonable to assume you have attention deficit issues that would affect anything that requires concentration.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are ridiculous.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:09 PM

I can't really focus without distractions. I study for tests playing poker, watching tv, drinking beer and I get A's.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you really mean complete silence? Like you can't have an air conditioner on while reading? Or do you just mean other words or conversation?

I can't really read anything dense while other words are being spoken around me, be they live conversation or song lyrics. But its the words that are distracting, not the noise.

And i've never seen this as affecting my ability to play live poker. I can play internet poker just fine while listening to music.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I was referring to. Any meaningful noise (tv, conversation, etc) tends to distract me. Maybe I should give instrumental music a shot.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are people so quick to categorize when someone has difficulty focusing?

I don't have ADD, ADHD, OPP or HIV. Just a slight problem filtering out background noise.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:26 PM

For one thing, You probably won't want to do too much tuning out at B&M, because there is so much information to be collected from your opponents. Also I think it's much easier to focus on people's words and actions than it is to focus on reading a book. So I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't really focus without distractions. I study for tests playing poker, watching tv, drinking beer and I get A's.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you want a cookie?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:37 AM

dseiler,

likely the more you study the easier it will be and the better you focus.

my gf is doing he phd right now and always uses those foamy earplugs when studying. she says it helps her focus even if there isn't a lot of noise. perhaps you might find it useful.

for the b+m you could use the uber cool ipod with music you use while studying....could help get you into that zone.

cheers and good luck,
sean