Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 01:45 AM

Default New Poker Strategy Questions For Me Thread

I didn't repost many of your questions so far. That is partially because I am busy with the tournament. But it is also because most didn't meet my criteria. Namely short and sweet, and of general interest.

There were a few non general interest short questions that I answered on the question thread itself. I'll continue to do that. But I just can't be bothered with lenghthy questions about specialized topics.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:50 AM

Default Re: New Poker Strategy Questions For Me Thread

do you think you are the end all be all of poker stradigy and do you have the answer to every question?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:54 AM

remember you the hand you posted in high stakes lhe a long time ago. here. what were you thoughts on it?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:05 AM

"do you have the answer to every question?"

I screw up occasionally when the question is about quilting.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:07 AM

Against most players a close call.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:29 AM

Given a certain live-game principle/theory/strategy/technique is there some "general adaptor" that would "translate" this principle/theory/etc. so that it would apply to online play?

In another way: Is there some rule or set of rules which, if applied to a book on live-game strategy would spit out a book extremely similar, except now applicable to online play?

In a final way: What are the true fundamental differences between live play & online play?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:10 AM

You are playing four-handed stud/8. An aggressive player to your immediate left always completes short-handed when bringing in if no one else has a low card (A to 8)showing. This player does so and it is folded to you.

How much of a difference is there in the hands you are willing to play in this spot if this is a cash game vs. the final table of a tournament where all players have 7-12 times the big bet left?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:31 PM

Here's more of a poker theory one, but I am bored:

You are playing limit HE. We are interested in return on chips risked. Player in question is expert (I am not sure how I want to quantify that, but let's say for now he is very good and has an EV of +2BB/100 hands against the field where everyone's stack is > 12BB; rules are 1 bet and 3 raises max all streets even when heads up.)

Now say our player is shortstacked (less than 12BB). At what point if any is being shortstacked a disadvantage in this scenario? Ignore losing the +EV opportunity if he goes busto, what I am looking at is whether there is a point where the short stack hurts your EV (in relation to a stack size greater than stack in question). For instance, maybe you have to fold in a hand because you know your EV with your stack if you fold is better than your EV if you continue. (like you may be +EV to call down, but more +EV to fold because you will have such an edge with your remaining stack).

This is pretty poorly expressed. Another variation of the question is as your stack goes from 1BB to 12BB, does your EV always decrease (although not necessarily liniearly) or are there dips in that function? (i.e. is it for stacks <= 12, EV(A) > EV(B) if and only if A < B?) Is there any point where a stack less than 12BB offeres less EV than a stack of >= 12BB.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:18 PM

Here's a simple short and sweet question. What is it that you do on breaks or meals during long tournaments? I would think eat oranges or maybe excercise in some way to clear the mind and give your body energy.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:39 PM

Suppose in a NL holdem tournament your stack size is x, and that your EV is a function of your stack size: EV(x).

Is it obvious that there are situations when EV(2x) > 2*EV(x)? That is, doubling up will more than double your EV.

Let's talk about situations where this might occur.