Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 05:54 AM

Default Do you consider the Spurs a dynasty?

Assuming they win their fourth title in nine years this month, would you consider the Spurs to be a dynasty? For some reason I have a hard time placing the "dynasty" tag on them. Maybe it's because they have never won back-to-back titles or because they have done it with basically Duncan and a bunch of other guys you won't remember (except maybe Horry and David Robinson). The Bulls had Jordan, Pippen, and Jackson. The Lakers had Magic, Worthy, Kareem, and Riley (and some other really good players like Cooper and AC Green) and later Shaq and Kobe (and Horry). The Celtics had Bird, DJ, the Chief, McHale, etc. The only constants for the Spurs are Duncan and Popovich, who is actually a very forgettable coach, great though he may be. So how do the Spurs of 1999-2007 fit the "dynasty" label?
Old 06-03-2007, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Do you consider the Spurs a dynasty?

Of course they are.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:51 AM

I say definitely.

First, I think you can consider '99 gravy, and just look at the past five years, which would be the third title with Duncan/Parker/Manu/Bowen, and people will remember those guys.

They've actually been unlucky not to make more finals (Derek Fisher's 0.4 second miracle, losing game 7 at home in OT after Dirk's incredible three-point play, suffering through three years of Shaq/Kobe before that).

The 80s Celtics you mention never won back-to-back titles, either.

I think the main criteria is whether we (and future fans studying the game's history) will look back on the team's run and remember what happened in the years they *didn't* make the finals (the way we do with the NBA teams you cited, and the Montana/Young Niners, the Brady/Belichick Pats, the Jeter Yankees, the Ewing Hoyas, etc.). And I think we will do that with this team. After all, I just named the two instances in the past 5 years, for which I didn't have to think for a second, and I'm not a Spurs fan.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:23 AM

sadly, yes
Old 06-03-2007, 08:32 AM

Yes, and any half way decent NBA fan knows who David Robinson is.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:13 PM

Absolutely.

edit to say: Moreso than the Lakers. People will put asterisks on 2 of the Spurs titles (this year, and the lockout shortened year), but the Lakers twice won conference finals in very tough matches against injury depleted kings teams...never full strength)
Old 06-03-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sadly, yes

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if the next generation of fans will realize just how stacked the competition was during this current Spurs run. To be able to do what they've done is pretty amazing.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely.

edit to say: Moreso than the Lakers. People will put asterisks on 2 of the Spurs titles (this year, and the lockout shortened year), but the Lakers twice won conference finals in very tough matches against injury depleted kings teams...never full strength)

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not directed at you, but I think it's BS when people want to asterisk titles. We can asterisk the Lakers title for the horribly officiated game 6 against the Kings. Or last year's Heat. Or asterisk Hakeem, since MJ was playing baseball. All these crappy circumstances that sometimes happens is called life. As long as it's not blatant cheating, no titles should be asterisked.

<font color="white"> edit: Holy crap, this my 1600th post. </font>
Old 06-03-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not directed at you, but I think it's BS when people want to asterisk titles. We can asterisk the Lakers title for the horribly officiated game 6 against the Kings. Or last year's Heat. Or asterisk Hakeem, since MJ was playing baseball. All these crappy circumstances that sometimes happens is called life. As long as it's not blatant cheating, no titles should be asterisked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. I just know that people will be trying to apply *s this year, like they did in the lockout year.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> edit: Holy crap, this my 1600th post. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT