Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you voted Dem, was your reason....
Family Values - Religion 6 7.50%
Rep Scandals - Individ. character 10 12.50%
Military - Iraq 22 27.50%
Branding - loyalty 3 3.75%
Economy - taxes 12 15.00%
Poker 27 33.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2007, 08:25 AM

Default Would the world be a better place without an afterlife?

If it was universaly accepted from the dawn of time that once you die you slowly turn into dirt just like every other living thing on the earth do you think it would positively or negatively affect mankind?

I think there are a LOT of factors to consider here.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Would the world be a better place without an afterlife?

Accepting reality turns everyone humble and peaceful.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:41 AM

I think we would probably make better plans, and be more accepting on how to organize society around us.

But it's hard to say, we could become more brutal and aggressive also since we would be more 'used' to the idea of death. Or vice versa since we'd assume we have only one life.

I think I don't know, hehe.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2007, 09:06 AM

If nobody ever believed in an afterlife I think we'd be much much more likely to actually be immortal right now, through technological progress. Kindof ironic in a way.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But it's hard to say, we could become more brutal and aggressive also since we would be more 'used' to the idea of death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does not compute.

Also, please be invited to listen to:
http://www.bswa.org/modules/mydownlo...cat.php?cid=49
Old 10-27-2007, 09:16 AM

I've seen cultures where people don't care about much about dying, because dying is 'common'. But like I said in my post, I don't know - it might as well be vice versa.

I think it depends on other factors, like how the 'non-afterlife' culture looks on other facets of life.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:26 AM

It would have been worse because then people wouldn't have had as much hope to carry on their daily lives. Thousands of years ago no one could read or write or was educated so they didn't have anything like philosophy or psychology or literature to fill in the gap. Even if they warred over religion, the daily influence it had in their lives to keep on trucking would have been important. People need to have more purpose and challenge in their lives than mere subsistence.

Its also related to other aspects of their lives where ancient peoples needed rituals to cement bonds like marriage, rites of passage, tribal identity, etc. It helped them develop bonds of group loyalty which allowed for organization to get things done.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would have been worse because then people wouldn't have had as much hope to carry on their daily lives. Thousands of years ago no one could read or write or was educated so they didn't have anything like philosophy or psychology or literature to fill in the gap. Even if they warred over religion, the daily influence it had in their lives to keep on trucking would have been important. People need to have more purpose and challenge in their lives than mere subsistence.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of this requires an afterlife. I don't believe in a specific afterlife. And yet I have plenty of purpose and challenge in my life. Get out of your very narrow box for just once.

[ QUOTE ]
Its also related to other aspects of their lives where ancient peoples needed rituals to cement bonds like marriage, rites of passage, tribal identity, etc. It helped them develop bonds of group loyalty which allowed for organization to get things done.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of this requires a belief in the afterlife. It's like arguing that rushing a fraternity requires one to accept the concept of heaven.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

None of this requires an afterlife. I don't believe in a specific afterlife. And yet I have plenty of purpose and challenge in my life. Get out of your very narrow box for just once.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

None of this requires a belief in the afterlife. It's like arguing that rushing a fraternity requires one to accept the concept of heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Milo said "I don't believe in a specific afterlife. And yet I have plenty of purpose and challenge in my life"

Milo you didn't live thousands of years ago. You can read, write and have access to multiplinary disciplines.

Your other quote: "None of this requires a belief in the afterlife. It's like arguing that rushing a fraternity requires one to accept the concept of heaven."

A belief in the sacred inspires you to a deeper commitment, maybe not everyone, but it can have that affect on some people. That's why they have you put your hand on a bible when you give witness testimony or are sworn in as President. The funny thing is in the bible God says not to swear oaths. It seems its people that insist on it. Maybe God is quite aware that the devil or human influences outside an individuals control might twist a person into breaking his oath? So the bible says let your yea be yea and your nay be nay.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Milo you didn't live thousands of years ago. You can read, write and have access to multiplinary disciplines.

[/ QUOTE ]

So?

There were plenty of activities thousands of years ago to give people purpose and challenge. Hell, there's enough purpose and challenge in a salmon's life for it to live out its days without needing to believe in Salmon Heaven. Survival and procreation should be two much more powerful drives to living beings than fantasies about heaven.