Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 10:00 PM

Default AJ vs double check-raise.

9 handed 20/40 game.
My image is pretty tight.

I'm UTG+1 and raise A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Folds to BB (a very LAGgy player) who calls.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. He checks, I bet, he raises, I call.

Turn is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. He checks (?), I bet, he raises, I call.

River is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He bets, I call.

Are these lines standard? Any better ones?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Re: AJ vs double check-raise.

I 3-bet the flop and take it from there. If he 4-bets I probably go into call-down mode; I don't know w/o seeing the guy. As played I might've 3-bet the turn and taken (hopefully) the free showdown UI but I'm not sure. Sorry to be so tentative but it's hard to say w/o being there. There are plenty of laggy players in my game that I definitely 3-bet that turn and others that I don't. But, generally speaking, 'very laggy player' gots to get called with your hand (at the least), imo.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 PM

seems okay prob wouldve 3bet flop and went from there
makes it much simpler to play and is probably for value

i have a question though cryptor

did you call the flop bet
with the intention of raising the turn?
if bet into again
Old 05-08-2007, 11:51 PM

yur so right howard. its so hard to tell without being there. i had that exact hand in a 20/40 too and i was against a super aggressive moron. he had position on me though and i bet the flop and he called. i bet the turn and he raised me. now just because the guy is a super lag, doesnt mean i have to auto call from there. i could see it when he raised me that he'd been waiting to do that for weeks. i knew my hand was beat. i folded.

as for the hand mentioned. depending on my read, if i call his raise on the flop, then i definately take the free card on the turn because since i didnt make it 3 bets on the flop, i'll just try to keep it cheap from there. but like i said before, thats if i read there is something wrong. i'll definately call his bet on the river after the check on the turn though.

its just another hand that didnt work out too well for ace jack of diamonds. the only person who truly did anything wrong was the lag. he has a hand that beats the heroes hand and he plays it like that? he did get the maximum but the way he played it only gets him the max every once in a while. a lot of guys r going to take the free card on the turn so he's going to miss out on that big bet.

ace jack of diamonds played his hand good. just a bad read, thats all.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:04 AM

Even with the read, taking a 3-bet enroute to a free showdown is not a good idea here. Our flush draw is very well disguised, so villain is unlikely to slow down with his most likely holdings (6x/Ax/FD, 77-JJ the ones he might c/c with), forcing us to miss an extra bet when we hit our diamond. Lose the same, Win 1 less bet when we hit. Getting capped against here(though somewhat rare) is really bad too.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:11 AM

Yes, I was planning to raise a lot of turn cards. His check really confused me.
I didn't 3-bet flop because I was anticipating getting check-raised on most flops. With air being much of his range, I wanted to let him keep betting.
The double CR threw me off. I came very close to 3-betting, but didn't want to get 4-bet by 22 or a 6. If he has one of those hands, I don't understand his check. What's makes him think I will bet again after getting check-raised?

What if I didn't pick up the flush draw on the turn?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:59 PM

Against the type of player you described, you've gotta call this down. You'll see a weaker Ax often enough to make calling down worthwhile
Old 05-10-2007, 12:29 PM

Yeah, he had A9.