Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 05:03 PM

Default $25 PLO8, top set, how to play it?

No good reads, early in the session.

Party Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $15.42
UTG+1: $7.12
MP1: $23.75
MP2: $53.66
MP3: $25.51
CO: $5
Button: $21.52
SB: $17.23
bozlax: $21.90

Pre-flop: (9 players) bozlax is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3, folds, CO (poster) checks, 2 folds, 2 folds, bozlax (poster) checks.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($1.1, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">bozlax bets $0.5</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises to $2.55</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises all-in $4.75</font>, bozlax calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($15.35, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $15.35)
bozlax checks, MP2 checks.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($15.35, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $15.35)
<font color="#cc0000">bozlax bets $14.6</font>, MP2 folds.
Uncalled bets: $14.6 returned to bozlax.

Results:
Final pot: $15.35

Check/raise the flop? Pot it when it's back to me?

Pot the turn?

Smaller bet on the river?

I've got my preflop stuff down, I think, but the postflop betting strategy makes me nuts, coming from a LHE background.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:13 PM

Default Re: $25 PLO8, top set, how to play it?

[ QUOTE ]
Check/raise the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can either checkraise pot on the flop, or pot the flop, betting less than the pot is a bad idea. From early position on a board this coordinated, I might prefer a checkraise, but its close.
[ QUOTE ]
Pot it when it's back to me?

[/ QUOTE ] Absolutely 100% yes. You have the best hand right now (unless opponent has a wrap and a flush draw) but your hand is still very vulnerable. You dont know what draw your oppoenent is on, and there are 26 scare cards (any card 7-A and any spade) that can come on the turn, and youll be out of position. There are another 12 cards that will bring a low draw.
You should be more inclined to get the money in when you will be out of position and dont know how to react to most of the cards (getting all in negates your opponents positional advantage), id probably repot it here with middle set as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Pot the turn?

[/ QUOTE ] THis one is a little trickier. Id probably pot the turn, but im not sure that its the right decision. My thinking is that with 10 outs, Im going to have almost, but not quite enough to call if my opponent bets the pot. By betting the pot myself, I charge him to draw if he isnt there yet, I have a good number of outs if he IS there, and I take away his ability to outplay me (or bet me off of my hand with middle set, not that I think that hand is likely here).

[ QUOTE ]
Smaller bet on the river?

[/ QUOTE ] Depends on the type of player. Against a loose passive calling type, you just bet the pot and hope. Against most players, Id probably make a smaller bet, and hope that hell pay me off with two pair or trips. If I bet small Id also call any raise, if youre up against quads so be it.