Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 01:39 PM

Default So, they stole my [censored]

I live in a relatively upscale neighborhood in southern Florida. There have been a lot of break-ins to cars/homes lately, because it's basically a gated semi-retirement community where everyone is asleep after 9pm.

Anyway, last night my (locked) car got broken into and they ripped my (not inexpensive) stereo out of the dash and also stole my MP3 player and garage door opener. Fortunately, they were apparently amateurs and didn't realize that the stereo won't function without the CPU which is a separate piece that they didn't take. So they now have a $2000 paperweight.

Cops came out and I gave them the serial numbers for the things that were taken (probably irrelevant) and filed a report. They actually came out and dusted the car for prints and found some, but I'm not overly optimistic that they'll ever be caught.

Anyway, considering they stole the garage door opener...it wouldn't surprise me if they'll be coming back, especially when we're on vacation or something. I've already changed the frequency, so it won't function...but I'd really like to nail these [censored]. They're obviously not pros considering the way it was ripped out.

So what's my play at this point? Install a camera? Annoying car alarm? My guess is they either enter the neighborhood on foot, as I'm not that far from the gate...or they are punk kids that live in the neighborhood already. I'm really just venting.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Re: So, they stole my [censored]

you had a $2000 radio get stolen from your car and you are still have to consider an 'annoying' car alarm?
Old 02-20-2006, 01:54 PM

Well I'm obviously naive. But it's been my experience that no one pays attention to car alarms anyway. I had a false sense of security being in a neighborhood where you need a transponder to access or go through a gate where they write down your plate #. I always lock my car and figured that in my driveway, it would take too long to break into it anyway and that no one would have the balls to do that. I was obviously wrong.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:17 PM

You live in a relatively upscale gated community that allows you to park your car overnight in the driveway (as opposed to mandatory parking it in your garage)? What’s up with that? I guess the key word is “relatively”. Just kidding, it is unusual though. Sorry to hear about your ordeal.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:23 PM

They don't like it. Problem is, we have a 3 car garage and 4 cars. They don't let us park on the street...they ticket for that. But you can park in your driveway, even though they frown on it.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:25 PM

My history...
car without alarm = 3 breakins (all in driveway)
car with alarm = 0 breakins so far after app. 6 years.
Was worth it for me.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:53 PM

I guess I've always just hated car alarms. Every time I've heard one go off, I just see people cringe and assume it's a false alarm. My bedroom is also located on the exact opposite side of the house, so I'm not even sure it would wake me if it went off. Are there any that have some kind of transmitter that would alert me remotely that my alarm was going off? This feeling sucks =/.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:55 PM

Uh...did anyone else's jaw drop when the OP said that the cops actually dusted for prints? Thats pretty rare and amazing, in a case like this. My buddy had this happen @ about 7pm on super bowl sunday, parked outside the bar he runs. the cops didnt even come to teh site, and the dudes left the screw driver.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh...did anyone else's jaw drop when the OP said that the cops actually dusted for prints? Thats pretty rare and amazing, in a case like this. My buddy had this happen @ about 7pm on super bowl sunday, parked outside the bar he runs. the cops didnt even come to teh site, and the dudes left the screw driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a gated community...the cops know who pays them.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Problem is, we have a 3 car garage and 4 cars. They don't let us park on the street...they ticket for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Life sure is tough.