Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Ricky Williams tests positive for marijuana AGAIN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2867381

Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams tested positive for marijuana in April and will not be allowed to apply for reinstatement to the NFL until September, sources said.

Williams was suspended last year for violation of the substance abuse policy and was eligible to be reinstated this month, but the league's medical advisors that oversee Williams' personal rehabilitation program recently notified commissioner Roger Goodell of the positive test, sources said.

The doctors also recommended that Williams not be allowed to apply for reinstatement until September, sources said. The commissioner usually adheres to the advice of the medical advisors under the substance abuse policy.

"Falling off the wagon is part of rehab," a source said. "Based on the medical evidence in Ricky's case, the doctors say it's too early to come back. He had the positive test last month. Remember, he's been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder -- that's a real disease and a good percentage of those folks self-medicate with substances like marijuana, often at the moment they are about to have a high level of social interaction."

League spokesman Greg Aiello said the NFL would have no comment, as did Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene.

David Cornwell, an attorney who has represented Williams during his substance abuse cases, said he would honor the confidentiality policies in effect with another no comment.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Ricky Williams tests positive for marijuana AGAIN

damnit
Old 05-11-2007, 02:26 PM

This is not directed at OP, but why does anyone even care about this guy anymore? Isn't it safe to say he's done? Can he even return to the NFL and be anything more than an average NFL back? I just don't think he can. I've got zero problems with anyone smoking pot, but you can't use drugs or get caught using drugs in the NFL. Why would anyone take a chance on this guy now if he's not going to be a great player?

-Loyal NO Saints fan
Old 05-11-2007, 02:28 PM

lol @ Richard Williams. Have fun in Canada making 1/10th what you could in America! F***ing loser.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:38 PM

I think he does it on purpose. He was miserable playing football and earning millions of dollars for some reason, so he is sabotaging any chance he has to go back to it.

Either that or he is just THAT dumb, which I find tough to believe.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:48 PM

Could be worse. He could be a mediocre NFL player who smokes pot and fixes dog fights.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he does it on purpose. He was miserable playing football and earning millions of dollars for some reason, so he is sabotaging any chance he has to go back to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe his punishment should be that he's forced to play out the remainder of his contract? Pot isn't exactly a performance enhancer.

Now that I'm thinking about it, did the IOC ever add marijuana to the list of banned substances after that whole Ross Rebagliati incident in 1998?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:00 PM

In other news, I just tested positive for oxygen.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not directed at OP, but why does anyone even care about this guy anymore? Isn't it safe to say he's done? Can he even return to the NFL and be anything more than an average NFL back? I just don't think he can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot-smoking aside, the Dolphins care. He was a helluva value for them. He can still play and they were paying him squat. Two years ago he returned from India weighing like 175 pounds. He got in shape fast and still played great. But, yeah, I don't see any way the NFL lets him return now.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ Richard Williams. Have fun in Canada making 1/10th what you could in America! F***ing loser.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a bizarre attitude to take. He seems like a fragile guy who likes smoking pot more than he likes playing football. For this he deserves scorn?