Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 03:20 AM

Default WSOP Omaha Schedule

I am pretty sure I'm planning on playing in the $1500 buy-in... but as I was looking through I saw a $10,000 buy-in PLO championship (only two days?) and somehow hadn't heard about it. Has anyone played in the lower buy-in tourneys that wants to talk about what they're like (maybe even relative to a NLHE event)?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: WSOP Omaha Schedule

I haven't played in the 1500 event but i remember former poster Acesover8s describing the structure as pretty fast but the level of playing being very very low.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Acesover8s describing the structure

[/ QUOTE ]here
Old 03-06-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played in the 1500 event but i remember former poster Acesover8s describing the structure as pretty fast but the level of playing being very very low.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you do a little bit of analysis of the tournament structure and guess the number of live hands that will be dealt per level...it isn't very good. And of course getting to a low M in a PLO tourney is even worse (more of a crapshoot) than a NLHE tourney.

CF you can play it and have a +EV for sure, but you'll have more fun in the cash games. I went during the 1500 event last year and there were usually two 2/5 tables going during the evening then down to one all night. There was a 10/25 also (I think) all the time, and a little less frequently a 5/10.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:30 AM

It's very slow at first and you really need to be familiar with tournament play and position strategies. It's enough of a crapshot at one point a player said to me that a professional blackjack tournament player probably got better chance than a real poker player. It's exagerating a little I think, but he is right that tournament strategy (when to take the worst of it and when to pass on marginally best of it) becomes very important in these tournaments because inevitably blinds get very big relative to stacks even before you make it to the money.