Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 03:29 PM

Default OOT Parents - help with kids\' music

My son is almost two and he loves music. He gets up and dances and claps and sings along. But if I have to listen to another Raffi song I may shoot myself. And let's not even talk about the [censored] Wiggles.

Please OOT parents - recommend some new kids music before my son becomes an orphan.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: OOT Parents - help with kids\' music

I've been playing Led Zeppelin III for my 7 week old son. Judging by the drool, he seems to dig it.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:35 PM

"I love you
You Love Me.
We're a happy fam---mill-----leeee......"

Seriously, introduce him to The Beatles. Both of my daughters were exposed since birth and they will still listen to them to this day. A song that he should like if you sing it as well is "You are the Sunshine of My Life."
Old 04-30-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing Led Zeppelin III for my 7 week old son. Judging by the drool, he seems to dig it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to sing the Immigrant Song to my first when she was a baby and she liked it.

OP, my kids, 5 and 7, will happily listen to and sing James Taylor or Joni Mitchell. Woody Guthrie has a bunch of kids songs which are good. As far as pure kids music, I don't hate Dan Crow or Justin Roberts.

The real problem with kids and music is they will often want the same thing over and over and over and ...... Raffi isn't horrific or anything the first time (unlike the wiggles or barney) but you can sure get sick of him.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:41 PM

Smithsonian Folkways - pretty cool

Also, soundtrack to Curious George is tolerable, if you don't mind Jack Johnson.

Dude- I feel your pain. Right now the boy is stuck on the Three Blind Mice. We have to play it on repeat in the car or he just yells and won't stop yelling til we turn it on. Three [censored] blind [censored] mice.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:43 PM

Not For Kids Only - Garcia and Grisman
Old 04-30-2007, 03:46 PM

I think too much depends on your kid. My son will listen to anything and enjoy it.

My wife listens to Dave Matthews Band. My 4 year old likes it.

I listen to Tool, Metallica, etc. He likes this, too. I just have to censor the listening experience when he is in the car.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My son is almost two and he loves music. He gets up and dances and claps and sings along. But if I have to listen to another Raffi song I may shoot myself. And let's not even talk about the [censored] Wiggles.

Please OOT parents - recommend some new kids music before my son becomes an orphan.

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta learn to tune it out. I grew up at a house where a train rolled thru the land behind our backyard more than a dozen times a day. After a week or so of living there you really dont even notice it anymore. I did the same thing with the kids (now 4 and 6)just tune it out and let it become white noise. Luckily kids music does get a bit better (not much) with age. I now get to tune out hannah montana and other various fluff.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:05 PM

The Wiggles are actually pretty good. Ignore the lyrics and you'll hear poppy, cheerful tunes. Good stuff. The fact that they're talking about crossing the streets makes the songs inane, though.

My wife and I have differing beliefs on this. She has a binder of a bunch of kids CDs. But I've always refused to play "kids" music in my car. I prefer to expose my kid to all kinds of music. My daughter listens to almost anything I play (except technical death metal, which she thinks is "too loud"). But her favorite is classical music.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:43 PM

Jack Johnson - Curious George

This is the only thing my 21 month old will listen to.