Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 02:00 AM

Default screw the US, i want to transfer to a university outside the country..

so i've been at MU for about a year and after reading a lot about colleges abroad I am really interested in attending a University in England.
Terrible idea? I would def. not describe myself as someone who is terribly attached to anything in my life right now...
I have read how inexpensive some english schools are, but what is the catch? housing prices?
Has anyone here gone from the US to study abroad...for a full degree?
What is your experience with this subject? Sorry for the lack of info, I am just looking for general info regarding this subject, as I have no idea where I would be looking to go specifically in England. Thanks guys.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: screw the US, i want to transfer to a university outside the count

Go to Japan.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:35 AM

no thanks...i want to go to an english speaking country. I realize Japan has english oriented school's, but I'm not looking for that.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:02 AM

there are a lot of programs where you can spend 75%+ of your time outside of the US but still graduate from a university. not all of them are academically prestigious, but i've definitely considered it. there's something to be said for having so much "worldly" experience, and i couldn't promise anything but I think that it would impress certain employers

also, the "screw" the US attitude is kinda silly. i'm sure there are plenty of schools in the US that would fit your needs.

ps -- the one I was looking at is Webster University (google) chose it because one of their campuses is in St. Louis, MO (my hometown)
Old 11-06-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Re: screw the US, i want to transfer to a university outside the country..

I was accepted as a transfer to the University of Toronto after my freshman year but turned it down. The whole process was pretty easy and school probably would have been about as expensive as going out of state, but the recent currency shifts have eroded much of that advantage.

I didn't end up going.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:18 AM

If you have been at MU for a year now you are currently in your third semester? The easiest route would be to find a full-year study abroad program, which would only leave you about a year left at MU.

If you are interested in obtaining a degree from one of the schools, I think the main issue would be cost. For one, the dollar is in bad shape when measured against the British pound, so everything will be uber-expensive. I'm not quite sure about how "inexpensive" their universities are. From what I understand, the government has been more inclined to fund their universities. But, if I am not mistaken a lower percentage of people attend college, and that doesn't necessarily mean they would be interested in funding an American to go to their university, so you may find it quite pricey.

Take it FWIW, my info is a few years old and picked up mostly by hearsay when I studied abroad in England. If you are itching to get out of the US, the easiest and cheapest route might be a long study abroad program.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:16 PM

scotland is better.. I'm at st andrews. there are a lot of JSA's and JYA's from the states who come here. House prices around the uk vary but generally looking at i guess $400 a month per person for bog standard. I pay 630 a month.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:17 AM

I did a semester in Spain and it was cheaper than what my semester would have been at the University of Wisconsin.

Go talk to your school's study abroad coordinator to get started. I'd look into doing a year abroad with some contingency plan for not coming back.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:39 PM

UK universities? inexpensive? er nope. If you are paying international student fees then its approx ~18k gbp ($37.5k USD) per year at my university (imperial college - london). Things like medicine are even more expensive per year. If you were to transfer would you keep you just pay your US fees ?? You really need to check that out because if you are not from the UK/EU and go to a uk university then it costs ALOT. Also the dollar is doing pretty [censored] against British pound so everything is uber expensive. The general rule of thumb here is that whatever the price is for an item in the US it will cost the same numerical value but in pounds. So basically everything is double the price. But places like london/edinburgh are probably closer to 2.5x the price. Also the cost of housing is insane over here. Most of my friends are living in flats of 3-4 paying (this is london btw) anywhere from 400-650 GBP p/month. Also you have to be aware that for the most part US universities are much better than their UK counterparts. Sure we have cambridge/oxford/imperial college(its vvv good for science/engineering) but generally a US degree will give you slightly more favourable career prospects in the long run. If you dont believe me you can check any "top 100 universities rankings". The majority of the listings will be US institutions.

Oh and scotland is boring unless you go to edinburgh/St Andrews. You wont have a clue what anyone from aberdeen/glasgow/anywhere in between is saying [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (originally from aberdeen).
Old 11-07-2007, 06:59 PM

Hey, I didn't think this deserved it's own thread, so I'll go ahead and ask the question here as it's very related.

I'm looking into studying in the US (I live in the UK right now but do not attend a university here) and was wondering what the best way to go about this is, and a ball park figure of cost. It would be to take a course along the lines of sports management if that makes any difference.

If someone could link me to any info at all it would be appreciated, as I know next to nothing on the subject.