Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 10:14 PM

Default 10nl, full ring: tptk getting awkard resistance

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+1 ($5.30)
MP1 ($1.05)
<font color="#C00000">MP2 ($9.15)</font>
CO ($12.30)
Button ($11.20)
SB ($12.45)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($10.85)</font>
UTG ($10.25)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $0.2</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.6</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.35) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>

Reaching for the fold button, I see villian is 36/18/i since he sat down 10 hands ago, so I'm thinking he might be optimistic or just jerking my chain.

If I minraise to $5 and he shoves, it's only 3.55 to call into about a $12 pot. Am I just stacking off to a set here?
Old 06-30-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Re: 10nl, full ring: tptk getting awkard resistance

For some reason when I am reading this NL 10 hand histories I feel like the players don't have enough chips, even though it is still 100 big blinds.
I was going to say he's short so push after the minraise comment, but I realized you're both decently deep. Folding is way too weak, but it looks like he's hoping you have AK here...
I'd like to see some advice from someone else though. I think it's an interesting spot.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:43 PM

Pushing seems reasonable, although if it turns out he's a decent player, he won't call with a worse hand. But it's probably going to be hard to extract much more from, say, JJ anyway. And if he happens to have QJ, well, at least you're making him pay if he wants to chase. And he might in fact have trouble getting away from KQ/KJ, whereas I'm not sure you could count on him to keep betting those hands for you once you call the flop raise (although you could always lead a river blank if the turn goes check, check).

It's enirely possible he has the same hand you do, by the way, although the preflop min-raise looks a little more like hands along the lines of KQ, KJ, and, unfortunately KT/44. But who really knows, since Villain is mostly unknown.

Your initial instinct to fold seems, er, a little premature to me. Are you really going to be behind that frequently when you face a raise on this flop at NL10? (I'm not familiar with how the limit plays, so I don't know the answer.)
Old 06-30-2007, 11:34 PM

I think this is a push. You're ahead here far more than you're behind, and at this limit you're getting paid off by any Kx (hopefully not KT or K4).

While QJ is also possible, I see stuff like J9 or Q9 or AT or QT. I can't find myself to fold here, and calling is terrible, so I reraise.

Also, I really don't like the min-reraise. And at this limit, villians have to be a LOT more convincing than 36/18 raising a pretty dry flop to give them credit for a set
Old 07-01-2007, 09:39 AM

wow, I thought you were all going to tell me this was a clear fold. dry board, unlikely bluff (other than villian's stats). I was going to defend myself with "well it's NL10, and you see all kinds of foolishness". So you've noticed that too.

(the only reason I was thinking fold initially was that the table had a couple "target" fish, and otherwise sharks. This guy hadn't hit my radar yet as a fish, so I was still mentally prepared to give him credit for what he said he had.)

I went with the minraise (something I never do, but the stack sizes didn't let me make a proper 3bet), thinking I could fold to a raise. But getting better than 3:1, when I saw the numbers, I decided to call his shove anyway. Didn't think that through too well, did I.

KT. Thanks for the consolation, I feel better about it now.